A thread for D&D nonsense šŸ‰ āš”

Iā€™m down for something like thatā€¦we only need a few others !

1 Like

If thereā€™s any first edition AD&D going on let me know :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Okay, we should maybe start a new thread in the off topic section and pin our character sheets to the top for reference.

I suggest an easy, level 1 or 0 adventure to get things going, perhaps only the gathering of the party.

Sounds like weā€™ve got at least 3 people, that was enough in my dayā€¦ !

First order of biz, thoā€¦whoā€™s the DM? If Iā€™m too presumptuous to have your name here, I apologize in advance !

• TheHippy
  • NotTVsFrank
  • Andrew Crosset
  • Spotty Boots

0 voters

2 Likes

I need some kind of setup like that. I am using a pretty minimal setup now. Hidden dice and room for notes I donā€™t have to keep hidden would be swell.

I will endeavor to spin some of the quests and stories like this. I think sheā€™d be into that.

I donā€™t think the authors of this campaign were worried about balance. The game is supposed to be ā€œjust rightā€ for a DM and 1 to 4 players. It never talks about balance. I donā€™t know about you, but I think 1 player trying to solo the 45hp dire rat in the practice/tutorial quest is a little unbalanced. Iā€™m assuming Iā€™ll have to nerf this mega-rat for two of them. It could conceivably one-shot either of them if it crit. In the campaign material thereā€™s plenty of monsters that resist non-magical weapons, have pack tactics, and/or come in groups of 4 or five. Thatā€™s a lot for two newbies at level 2.

I had another mini-session with them tonight and they survived the first wave of huge rats. I realized I needed to make some suggestions and offer some options, but always let them choose what they wanted. My wife really wanted to use speak with animals to find out what the rats wanted. Turned out the rats were morally dubious, ravenously hungry, and a bit dim. Any doubts she had about rat murder seemed to go after that. There was, sadly, no diplomatic option with giant stupid hungry rats.

Now to survive the dire rat, with a minimal amount of nerfage. And then to balance this content so itā€™s fun and challenging but not a constant murderfest.

3 Likes

You forgot your name. I fixed that for you.

2 Likes

Thanks, I didnā€™t want to presupposeā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am running a Pathfinder campaign currently, although it is only monthly, and I have months of material prepared already. I am not familiar with the current D&D rules, and although I have played by post a few times before, I have not done so as GM. I have found that the rules system does not matter much when playing by post, but keeping everyone engaged can be an issue. That said, I would be willing to give it a go as either a player or a GM.

2 Likes

Are you running Pathfinder 1E or 2E?

2 Likes

I am still running 1e, have not looked at 2e yet. I know, I am late to the party.

2 Likes

It sounds like TheHippy has both the chops and the material to be DM.

If nobody else has a problem with this, letā€™s give him the comm.

If you have characters you want us to use, thatā€™s cool, otherwise -

Let us know what/ who to generate; and weā€™ll get to it.

1 Like

I will need a day or two to come up with a good campaign idea, and whip up a starting scenario. Then I can toss out a thread, and link it here. I try not to constrain players too much, but one thing I typically frown upon is inter-party conflict, so letā€™s keep characters to either all generally good characters, or all generally evil characters. Otherwise, anyone who is interested, just give me a general idea of the character you are thinking of playing, and the general play style you prefer (serious, silly, dungeon crawl, political intrigue, etc.) to help me put together a scenario.

Once I get a new thread started we can go over ground rules and the like.

3 Likes

Iā€™m partial to dungeon crawls myself, though Iā€™m up for anything. Reasonably serious.

Should we be rolling up 1st level characters? And do you have a preferred method of rolling up stats?

2 Likes

I prefer starting at first level, and use Pathfinderā€™s point buy system for character generation. It puts everyone on a more even level starting out. I usually go with High Fantasy (20 points), unless someone has a problem with starting out that way.

A play by post dungeon crawl would certainly be interesting. The pace of playing by post can really bog down extended combat, and this kind of roleplaying lends itself to more story-based participation. This forum also does not have the tools of something like RPG.net to make that kind of thing run a bit more smoothly, but we can give it a go, and see how things evolve.

2 Likes

Soā€¦ My only experience - limited experience - is with DnD 5e. I have zero Pathfinder knowledge/materials.

Rather than bog down this play-by-post with questions and stuff that does not work, Iā€™d better watch quietly from the side. I assume Pathfinder is not compatible with a peanut gallery?

3 Likes

Pathfinder uses the same basic mechanics as D&D (it started out as a remix of D&D 3.5). We can explain everything as we go along. Thatā€™s another advantage of play-by-postā€¦ teaching people how to play doesnā€™t eat into gaming time because there is no specific ā€œgaming timeā€. I think you should try it.

3 Likes

If you donā€™t mind a complete newb, I would like to tag alongā€¦or at least watch!

(I have no idea how to play.)

4 Likes

Play by post can be done in a very system agnostic manner. The lack of built-in tools like dice rolling in this forum will likely push us more in that direction anyway. That said, there certainly is the time to teach the basics. Pathfinderā€™s rules are open source, so you can read everything online at https://www.d20pfsrd.com/

There are several online point buy calculators out there as well, here is one: https://pittsburghpfs.com/resources/point-buy-calculator/

Also, as far as I know, we canā€™t do private threads here, so anyone is welcome to at least watch, if not join in. If Iā€™m being honest, it may be very hard to keep things between the rails in an open forum like this, but I am willing to try.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s an online dice rolling app here for anyone who doesnā€™t have a set of polyhedra:

There is a Discord server that Natalie Shark started, Tabletop of Love, but its activity quickly faded to nothing. In my experience thatā€™s typical of most Discord serversā€¦ people just donā€™t remember to visit them. Probably better to start here in the forum and see how it goes.

2 Likes

Android phones will also to dice for you, with a spiffy animation! ā€œHey Google, roll a d20!ā€

Iā€™ll see if I can get through some of the Pathfinder materials. I know itā€™s similar to DnD, but little else.

2 Likes

Yup, that is the problem with throwing the game to a more roleplaying centered forum like rpg.net as well.

2 Likes