Anyone Else Ever See...

First movie I ever riffed, in the sense of watching it knowing it was cheesy and being able to call out some of the references was Beast of Blood (or Beast of the Dead) directed by Eddie (Beyond Atlantis) Romero and starring John (Beyond Atlantis, Attack of the The Eye Creatures) Ashley and Celeste (“Why, yes, I was the original green Orion dancing slave girl!”) Yarnell.

Despite what the poster says, it’s pretty believable.

2 Likes

I’ll put in a word here for the outrageous Riki-Oh: the Story of Ricky. But maybe not for the squeamish.

5 Likes

Lol, yeah, was all the adult stuff but censored for TV . Featured a bunch of ‘something weird’ videos. Their catalog is far more uncensored in comparison :grin:

1 Like

Saw The Wizard long, long ago. Much fun.

1 Like

Super-late night on USA Network (back when it wasn’t even trying to be remotely respectable), so correct.

1 Like

New York Ninja was assembled by Vinegar Syndrome from unedited, audio-free reels that were discovered and recognised as something worth completing. For a taster, here’s the fight between our hero and the Plutonium Killer’s chauffeur.

1 Like

Indeed. I had a copy of “Necromania” from them, I think, which came with “Take It Out In Trade” to complete my VHS Ed Wood collection. IIRC, they had some scheme where the inserts were separate, so you could watch the Wood goodness without the really gross stuff. (It’s unclear whether Ed even shot those.)

There were a lot of good things about not being respectable back then.

2 Likes

Indeed. USA Up All Night being chiefly among them.

5 Likes

For some reason, I was obsessed with this movie for a while when I was 13-14. I must have watched it 20 times on VHS during that time.

5 Likes

The Match-Stick Flame (2020)
Available on Tubi.tv

Written by Craig Robert Bruss. Directed by Craig Robert Bruss. Produced by Craig Robert Bruss. Starring Craig Robert Bruss. Casting by Craig Robert Bruss. Location co-ordination by Craig Robert Bruss. Costume & Wardrobe by Craig Robert Bruss.

Yes, it’s one of those glorious ego-trip movies, made by someone (Craig Robert Bruss) who’d watched the Godfather trilogy and reckoned he (Craig Robert Bruss) would like a piece of that.

Dalton (played by Craig Robert Bruss) is an angry cop. Possibly the angriest cop ever captured on film. He is recruited into a Magnum Force-type operation of cops that don’t play by the rules, maaan.

What the police don’t know is that Dalton (played by Craig Robert Bruss)'s father is a mob godfather who’s just got out of prison and is looking to take back Los Angeles from the gangs who have thrived in his absence.

Cue many scenes of Dalton (played by Craig Robert Bruss) going around, punching first and asking questions later. His fury is not slaked by the violence; if anything, he (played by Craig Robert Bruss) gets angrier. His police chief shouts a lot, as they always do. All the oriental characters know kung fu. Many wigs are magnificent, especially the mob boss, who appears to be sporting a capybara. Dalton (played by Craig Robert Bruss)'s girlfriend is kidnapped and murdered. The ratio of punches and kicks to foley effects occasionally approaches 1:1.

Every scene looks like it was lit by someone different and shot on a different camera. Some of it is almost competent, some is appalling, most is somewhere in between. Everything is exactly the right type of wrong, and great fun!

Thank you, Craig Robert Bruss (played by Craig Robert Bruss).

3 Likes

Props.

2 Likes

I’ve not only seen ‘The Wizard of Speed and Time’, but Mike Jittlov once asked me on a date, stood me up, then left some weird stuff on my doorstep.

Which I took and left on his doorstep.

Definitely the shortest and weirdest relationship I’ve ever been in.

2 Likes

It’s not, but I’m glad I watched it anyway.

1 Like

Here’s a fun post-apocalyptic short film (45 mins) from Australia about people throwing a big party in a fallout shelter after the bombs start falling.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0352854/

2 Likes

I remember back when the only way to own a copy of The Wizard of Speed and Time was to find someone who owned the Laserdisc version who was willing to dub it to videotape. These days, you can just watch the entire thing on youtube (with the blessing of the director).

I randomly crossed paths with Mike Jittlov years later in the audience at a music concert. He claimed to be working on a Viking/Time Travel film called Bjorn to be Wild at the time – but he may very well have been joking.

3 Likes

The best version of Alice in Wonderland is Jan Svankmajer’s Alice, which is also one of the most disturbing films ever made.

7 Likes

I remember seeing this show on TV as a kid and kind of liking it, but it went away very fast so it must have left an impression.

Also remember this other show, Cliffhangers, that made me mad because it got cancelled and since it was a … well … cliffhanger it never got resolved!

5 Likes

I have no idea if any of this is true or if you just BS’d all of it, but it’s masterfully encyclopedic either way.

1 Like

Illegal use of a Deezen!

2 Likes

I think we have a Best Meeting A Non-MST3K Celebrity Story? here!

2 Likes