Bars

That’s the question. Isn’t it? Is it worth these days? Depends on the person.

1 Like

Any other good bar food?

1 Like

For bar snacks I usually don’t do more than a bag of crisps, torn open on three sides and left in the middle of the table for sharing. These days I mostly go to pubs to eat a meal, though, so it’s usually normal restaurant food. Although I always think of a nice steak and ale pie as a good, traditional pub meal.

2 Likes

I’ve been quite melancholy about the fact that the town I grew up in is losing one of its signature bars.

Aside from having terrific food, it’s a historic place:

According to the restaurant’s website, the pub’s building dates to 1882, when it served as a pub and inn. The original owner, Zimri McCollough, constructed the building near the Monon Train Depot to serve its passengers. A historical photo of the pub was notably featured in the original show opening for Cheers .

On top of that, it has one of only three remaining mahogany bars built by the Brunswick company and it’s absolutely beautiful.

So I hope whatever it becomes next, it stays a pub. And stays locally owned. But I’m not holding my breath.

4 Likes

This makes me sad.

3 Likes

I just cheat and go downstairs. :woman_shrugging:

But there is a nice dive bar (and they serve saganaki…ooo-pah!) that’s not far from here. We used to live in walking distance to it, so it was fun before we got married. There’s a nice sportsing bar that we frequented prior to covid that had Live Band Karaoke and really good food!

5 Likes

Has the more recent phenomenon of the video arcade bar opened near any of you?

There’s one here and one in the town where we go where our mothers live, although I’ve never been to either. I just don’t really go to bars anymore on my own. But I like the idea.

2 Likes

I’d go there!

3 Likes

This is the one in the other town. This can’t just be an Indiana thing.

2 Likes

Ugh… when I search I get stupid gambling machines and Chuck E. Cheese…lol. WAIT! We have Dave & Busters! That was fun!

3 Likes

I’d love it if we got a barcade around here. I might actually go out to visit one of them!

4 Likes

Sign me up to that coinage!!! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

You’re not terribly far from Bloomington or Terre Haute if you wanted to check it out.

If you went to Terre Haute, you could also go to Bank of Pinball and play dozens of pinball games (although sadly, most of the games are not classics). $15 free play on Friday and Saturday nights and, although it is all-ages, the bar makes a hell of a bloody Mary.

https://www.sandboxsocial.com/bank-of-pinball.html

3 Likes

Some L.A. bars-

Back when I lived in L.A., when I found out L.A.'s oldest tiki bar was not too far away, I had to go. The Tonga Hut.

Sadly, there was basically no one there when I went.

https://www.tongahut.com/index.h

The first bar I went to in L.A., a day after moving there I think, was the Friendly Frolic Room next to the Pantages Theater in Hollywood, which is a narrow dive bar that has a huge Al Hischfeld mural on the wall.

I also enjoyed The Dresden Room, which was most famous for showing the nightly club act of Marty & Elaine, as seen in the movie Swingers. Marty has since, unfortunately, passed away. We went to the Dresden for the escargot, which was incredible.

Finally, there was a bar relatively close to where I lived when I lived in South Gate that was an 80s New Wave-themed bar which played a significant amount of 80s New Wave music made in Mexico. Which I didn’t realize was a thing, although obviously it was a thing. I don’t remember the name of the bar.

4 Likes

I’ve never been great at Pinball. Terrible Eye Hand Coordination. Even with Video Games, I have to will body to do it. And it’s a test of patience to make every possible mistake imaginable then win. As a kid it was easier. Today? I will if I’m game. This sounds great. I’ll think on it.

2 Likes

One heck of a setup you have!!

5 Likes

What’s Ale Pie?

1 Like

There’s an Irish pub not far from our house that my husband and I frequented before Gamera was born and still go to from time to time. We started going soon after we moved into our house because they had trivia on Tuesdays but kept going even after they dropped trivia during the pandemic. (We only ordered takeout from there during the worst of the pandemic so it would stay in business.) It’s like Cheers in that seemingly everyone knows your name–bartenders and patrons alike. It’s also usually not overly crowded, yet not so under crowded that you wonder how they stay open. They also have a great beer selection. And, of course, they have a plethora of Irish whiskeys, plus Guinness on tap.

5 Likes

Steak and Ale pie -

2 Likes

Wow! That’s a recipe! Prepare to invest several hours or at least 2 days!

Sounds yummy!

3 Likes