Britcoms

EXTRAS!!
unnamed-2

Also IT Crowd, Coupling, Black Books, Miranda (Monty Python and Fawlty Towers are a given)

4 Likes

And then there was The Young Ones. About as subtle as the punk rock that inspired it, but I loved watching it on MTV as a teenager in the 80s. That Comic Strip group and their compatriots launched the next generation of British sketch comedy.

7 Likes

I quite enjoyed W1A, a mockumentary series set inside the workings of the BBC. Amusingly dysfunctional, and in the vein of The Thick Of It.

w1a

7 Likes

You can also catch Ian Fletcher’s excellent organisation of the London 2012 Olympic games in another BBC comedy, Twenty Twelve. Not sure if it’s streaming anywhere, but if you like W1A you’ll love this.

6 Likes

I used to watch The Young Ones on MTV back then too but I was 11 lol

1 Like

Warwick Davis in a mockumentary where he’s a terrible, horrible person.
One of my faves:

2 Likes

Already mentioned, but I have to declare my love for Jeeves & Wooster as well. The last season is a chaotic hotchpotch of recycled storylines which feels like something the network was forced to make, but the rest is distilled brilliance.

5 Likes

The Comic Strip Presents gifted the world with my favorite cover of Bohemian Rhapsody ever. Bad News - Bohemian Rhapsody Pure gold.

4 Likes

I loved the pay phone in the front room and they had some great bands play live! Vivian kind of freaked me out, but Neil always came in for the rescue: Oh, that poor toaster

4 Likes

Hard to believe nobody’s mentioned One Foot in the Grave yet. Absolutely classic stuff.

4 Likes

If we’re veering into panel show territory, Taskmaster is outstanding.

As long as I’m here, I’ll mention two youtube-only series. No More Jockeys is a lovely game played by three very funny comedians. I’m not sure it’s going to continue on, but Who Said That was also a lot of fun during lockdown.

3 Likes

Yes, I remember that one too. I had a boss that reminded me of Victor.

3 Likes

I don’t believe it!

4 Likes

Not a sitcom but this sketch tickles me

1 Like

Glad to see some love for The Young Ones. It’s an all-time favorite of mine. I even bought their book and a T-shirt! I just recently watched all of Father Ted, and loved it. IT Crowd is another staple of my “I want to watch something that makes me happy” rotation (even my mom liked that one- she thinks Moss is cute :blush:)Also happy to see a shout-out for Taskmaster (looking forward to the next season!)

Some I haven’t seen mentioned

Count Arthur Strong
Garth Merenghi’s Darkplace
The Goes Wrong Show

7 Likes

No Job For A Lady had some good moments. It’s sort of an inversion of Yes Minister, with the main politician in this case being competent instead of hopeless.

The leads in those two shows - Penelope Keith and Paul Eddington - also played the affluent Leadbetters, closest friends and neighbours of the Goods in The Good Life.

2 Likes

ullo, john! got a new motah?!

2 Likes

does your’s have a ten years stamp on the back or the alternate dimensions “tour dates” on the the back?

3 Likes

Is this one of those Student-ey places? UP TA ROAD!

1 Like

It’s got the ten year anniversary on the back. The tour dates one sounds pretty cool!

3 Likes