COME FLY LIKE A MORON in your OPEN THREAD for tonight's SURGICALLY ENHANCED TRIBUTE TO THE PUMAMAN!

Not rear-projection in fact according to the documentary at the end. It was bluescreen. That technology was really very popular back then, although it hadn’t fully developed as you can see. The BBC used it extensively on Doctor Who (under the name Colour-Separation Overlay or CSO), trying in one story called “Underworld” to do a virtual set thing and not really succeeding.

We’ve seen something of a return to rear-projection lately with the ILM Stagecraft system, although they’re eschewing that for the Andor series in favour of actual sets and another British sci-fi staple - filming in quarries!

4 Likes

Isn’t it weird how this movie takes place in London and Donald Pleasance is the only British person in the movie?

1 Like

No, Geoffrey Copleston (the senior British offical) is also British.

2 Likes

Ok, but mostly they aren’t British. In London.

3 Likes

The joy of the Common Market - no work permits needed back then for the Italians.

1 Like

The dude driving the mini-firetruck wasn’t British?

The DVD set with Pumaman was released in 2014. So the interview is at least 8 years old, possibly longer depending on how long it took the featurette to be made and released.

Anyone know what time The Batwoman preview pops up in the Puma Man Tribute?

The more people talk about this, the more confused I get.

Where did the interview originally appear?

Was it in conjunction with or at the behest of Shout Factory promoting MST3K? Or not? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

The very very end, after the interview. Let me go grab you a The time stamp is 2:50:00ish!

I have to say I’m very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the “surgical remaster” version. I think Joel said in his announcement that these versions will be put onto the Gizmoplex going forward too?

8 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey hey, welcome to the forums!

And yes, IIRC, Joel said both the surgical remaster AND the original versions would be up on the gizmoplex. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“Sliders” was great for a while. Rule of thumb: if the Professor Autero is on, watch; if the Cromags are on it, don’t! (watch if there’s both, probably with caution) Overall, once at the point where the actor playing the professor left, all remaining episodes aren’t worth your time.

3 Likes

In regards to the preview…

4 Likes

Watching this today. First of all, I like the new spinner for the Madvertisements.

Second, the replay still has the opening jazz for 20 minutes and I am so glad that I didn’t skip over it. That tune with the MST3K theme song in it made it all worth the while.

2 Likes

Word from the actor is that he bailed when the stories got too silly for him to tolerate. (“A swarm of neutron stars hitting the Earth? Really? That does it. I’m out.”)

The interview originally appeared on Disc 4 (The Pumaman) of Shout Factory’s MST3K Volume XXIX, released March 25, 2014. It was one of many mini-documentaries/featurettes that Daniel Griffith of Ballyhoo Motion Pictures produced for Shout Factory’s MST3K DVD releases as extra features. The entire list is here: Ballyhoo Motion Pictures | MST3K | Fandom

4 Likes

So it was because of MST that the interview happened. OK, that’s what I thought all these years, but then Lady Shelley’s comment really confused me.

1 Like

So did everybody have fun?

4 Likes