Early Onset Nostalgia

That thread is a really good comparison against the listicles, in three ways:

1.) It’s on-topic with the Discourse (while general moviegoing fits pretty well here, the lone OP veered away from that and now posts about any subject that hasn’t been touched before).
2.) It’s quality versus quantity.
3.) It allows people to hop in, stretch out, and participate however they’d like. Responses are bite sized and hilarious, and anyone can add to the weirdness or just sit back and admire the weirdness.

10 Likes

I’m with you here, another old grouch who easily laments change. I’m trying to stay open to the changes.

Alongside the avalanche of new topics, I’ve noticed a lot of duplicate topics. I know Lesley and Ivan have their hands full with other things, which has me wondering if maybe we need a new Trust Level that would imbue a few trusted folks here with the ability to merge/cull topics. We’re getting big enough now that delegating some of that housekeeping might be helpful.

8 Likes

Good point. That often points to one of two things - folks overwhelmed by the backlog and thus who don’t go through it, or folks who only care about being heard and not hearing others. I understand that it sucks coming to a place late after a lot of fun has already been had, but that doesn’t really excuse retreading old ground just because. I call that PoMo FOMO.

10 Likes

PoMo FOMO fo’sho, yo.

1 Like

I suspect you’re right about those reasons. I’m no expert on forum moderation, but a couple suggestions spring to mind: Update the welcome message for new users to include something about searching for relevant topics first; and/or gating topic creation behind some mechanic, maybe X number of hours browsing, or a couple days after signing up.

There are probably better minds than mine to figure it out, since we don’t want to come across as heavy-handed or discourage people from jumping in and participating.

8 Likes

I make no attempt to follow every thread. I look to the top bar for two things:
New(#) - topic I’ve never seen before
Unread(#) - topics I’ve already engaged with that have new posts

Latest and Top, and whatever over the list on the right side is, I have nothing to do with. I check out New topics first, then I catch up on my following topics, then I’m done. If I lose interest in a following topic, I switch from Tracking to Normal.

I am familiar with the slew of new topics – often essentially the same topic twice, once with a MST3K twist and once without – and I echo everyone who’s said many of them are good prompts and I don’t wish to discourage anybody, but they could perhaps be spaced out a little more, give each new topic space to breathe. But for me, once I’ve seen the initial prompt under New, unless it’s something I care enough about to post on, I never look at it again.

I would be nice to see more older topics surface – the Wildlife photos is also a favorite of mine, along with Show Us Your Pets, and not just because I created the latter :smile:

8 Likes

It’s probably the Asperger’s, but I really don’t mind listicle threads as long as they’re interesting.

4 Likes

That’s definitely my case. I try to be diligent and go through the other threads to make sure I’m not making a new thread for something that already exists, but it’s tough when there’s lots of new topics. And I’ve noticed they don’t always get included when I check “New” — like I’ve definitely come across threads that really piqued my interest and they turned out to be several days old, which shocked me cuz I usually check the forum every night. So not sure what’s going on there…but it means some new threads are somehow slipping through the cracks, which is what leads to repeat topics.

Or I’ll post about something and then be informed that it’s already being talked about in another thread, and then I go there and there’s like 300 new replies since the topic I wanted to participate in. And I don’t have time for all that. :sweat_smile: So I don’t think it’s necessarily bad to post to a new thread if the older ones are getting unwieldy, but there needs to be a balance cuz there shouldn’t be lots of threads on the same subject all going on at once.

4 Likes

That’s great! I was worried it became too much like a social media post, but I’ve been glad to see many people enjoy it.

3 Likes

And remember, if all else fails you can always throw milk and turn into a werewolf… that’s what I do when people bug me.

10 Likes

Or throw pee and shrug?

5 Likes

That’s right, hide behind jive talk.

7 Likes

Who wants to join me for a forum wide Mary Hopkin sing-along?

6 Likes

I solemnly swear not to start a new thread when I go to the live show next week. :raising_hand_woman:t3:

6 Likes

:musical_note: :musical_note:every country. has a monster… :musical_note: :musical_note:

Maybe there oughta be a pre-designated, sticky thread for all the “I’m at the show” thread starter hopefuls.

3 Likes

I think we should start a, “I’m not at a show” thread.

And that’s all it would be, just folks reporting in that they are not, at that particular time, at a show.

For example, someone might post,

“Just letting you all know that I am not currently in a theater or opera house, watching a show.”

and so for and so on.

15 Likes

Shades of Letterman driving around NYC and calling in to report that nothing was happening. I like it very much.

8 Likes

I’m certainly not at a show, nor have I stepped foot in a venue, or even in a 5 mile radius of one.

I haven’t even thought of a show, until you mentioned.

I’m so not at a live event, that I’m about to go to bed.

7 Likes

What about a check-in feature that people can do and it adds a flair and adds them to a special page people can click on to see who all else is at the show with them.

10 Likes