Episode 822- Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

The best strip club name ever is one that’s in Hollywood: Jumbo’s Clown Room.

I’m not a connoisseur of such establishments, but if it looks anything on the inside like it does on the outside, I assume you should use a lot of hand sanitizer.

4 Likes

I watch this episode as a double bill along with “Parts: the Clonus Horror” as a made-for-tv feeling dystopia fest.

The symphony of gastric sounds that are made to accompany The Fat Man as he trundles around the courtyard always destroys me anew.

“Hooray for socks!”

5 Likes

Clonus wasn’t made for TV.

2 Likes

Beyond painful.

1 Like

True. It’s the presence of Peter Graves and Dick Sargent, who I can’t help but associate with their tv roles in “Mission: Impossible” and “Bewitched.”

4 Likes

This experiment was excellent. Right up there with Time Chasers and Space Mutiny for me. Season 8 really had some heavy hitters!

• The Fingel rhyming jokes
  • The Flavor-Fibes techno-babble jokes
  • The Fat Man food jokes

And it reminds me of The Apple, one of my favorite 80s dystopian future movies.

5 Likes

Infinitely jealous. I’ve been trying for a long time. People want a few hundred dollars for a used VHS movie. I get there’s a limited amount of copies. However the market for this is pretty small. I got close once. The seller didn’t get back to me, so no bids. Feel free to get completely bored with it and desire a lot less than what is asked for on eBay. I’ll throw in a Get Out Of Anteater Dopple card.

3 Likes

Sorry, I don’t actually have a copy (though that would be cool). No, I was able to find it streaming online.

1 Like

It used to be on YouTube, but not anymore apparently. Oh well, I kept saying I would get around to it, but it’s too late now.

PsstIt’s still there… :shushing_face:

1 Like

I’ve been rewatching the SciFi era but had to put a pause in there when my Gizmoplex pooped out just as I got to this episode. Very happy to report that I got the app back up and running and just watched this again last night. It’s never been one of my favorites, but it has grown on me over time. I’ve always loved the host segments with the poo throwing, Brain Guy and Pearl’s duet and, of course, Pearl’s fundraising shtick.

6 Likes

Glad you got the app issues figured out! What finally worked?

My ex once said that Julia looked like he was waiting for the director to actually direct, and I can see where he was coming from. It’s very much a project that had the wrong director.

I have an uncut and unMSTed copy of this, and while the story is a lot better… I’ve also read the original John Varley novella. Now, I have never understood what it is that drives screenwriters and/or directors to say, “Oh, hey, look, here’s this great story, let’s film it but change everything so that it’s not the story anymore!” (see in particular: the I, Robot movie (on the trailer for which I nearly walked out of the theater), any of the three versions of Nightfall, or the Foundation series—do you sense a little bitterness about the way Asimov has been treated by movies and TV?)

What they filmed (or rather videotaped) was not Varley’s Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, except in the broadest possible of terms.

My advice to screenwriters and directors is: it’s not YOUR zarking story, you’re supposed to be realizing someone else’s vision. Tell the one that’s actually there, don’t make up some nonsense and then slap the name on it. If you want to tell a different story, then grow up and put your own name on your own story, don’t pretend you’re “adapting” something that’s almost certainly better than anything you could write.

Yeah, just a little bitter over three failed Nightfalls, one failed I, Robot, and a Foundation that I refuse to discuss…

5 Likes

Reset the router in the main house. (I live in a cottage in the back.) I feel like a dumbass. I was having the same issues with the Rifftrax and Disney+ apps but everything else worked fine. I’m glad that’s over with though!

1 Like

A brilliant cameo!

david bowie GIF

1 Like

Oh man, I nearly threw my shoe at the screen during I, Robot. (I was wearing my Chuck Taylor Converse and the product placement for those shoes and some car I can’t remember was beyond annoying.) I remember reading an interview with someone involved with the making of the movie Wanted - it was probably the director - and the dude was so proud of the fact that the movie he made had absolutely nothing but the bare bones and the title to do with the comic that it was based on. I loved that comic and can’t remember a time I was more angry at the blatant disregard by Hollywood for the source material. (Then came JJ Abrams and Star Trek but we won’t go there because Jon Stewart said what needed to be said to his face.)

Hollywood has only very recently learned that fans of a thing probably want adaptations of that thing to bear more than a passing resemblance to that thing, and that the charm of that thing will draw the audience to come to love the thing without needing to change the thing into what Hollywood thinks an audience wants a movie to be.

The I, Robot movie was not intended to be an adaptation of I, Robot. That was executive meddling.

1 Like

Then it should’ve been called something else.

I mean, if I helmed a movie called Lensman that borrowed a couple characters and ideas from Doc Smith and then made something that had nothing to do with any of his stories and also used the characters and ideas in ways that were contradictory to canon, I a) should not call it Lensman and b) deserve what approbation I get if I do. Nor would I expect to escape complaint if I made a movie called The War of the Worlds that was about a future civil war between Earth-based and Moon-based humans.

There are expectations that go with well-known titles. I would have no complaint if it had been called something else, but what they made was in no way, shape or form I, Robot. I think it borders closely on false advertising.

4 Likes

This episode does contain my all-time favorite riff: “Whup, I’m fartin’ Monopoly cards!”

I know, I’m a five year old sometimes. XD

2 Likes