Favorite film soundtrack?

I personally love a good soundtrack in a film.

For me number one has to be Fugitive Alien. The soundtrack punches way above it’s weight on this one.

Next it has to be the PumaMan. Even if it doesn’t exactly fit as a superhero theme I still find it very catchy.

And going for the bronze is Time Chasers!

“Walking on, walking on broken glass! Ouch OUch Ouch!”

I like the new age synth music used in the film.

What are your favorites?

Think about it, won’t you?

7 Likes

Hmmm… let’s see… to take @linszoid’s list and go with three soundtracks…

3 - Diabolik. It’s all about Ennio Morricone, baby. Groovy, unique, and easy to get lost in.

2 - The Amazing Colossal Man. Earn that paycheck, Albert Glasser. How appropriate is it that a movie about a giant man has a score that gives the proceedings an urgency that’s larger-than-life?

1 - Danger!! Death Ray. It’s goofy, ridiculous, ill-fitting, but… very, very enjoyable and listenable.

4 Likes

That’s just for instrumental soundtracks.

If we’re talking soundtracks that incorporate songs? I’ll go:

3 - The Horror of Party Beach. This movie has some grave sins upon its head, but those songs by the Del-Aires ain’t among them.

2 - I Accuse My Parents. Some seriously fun tunes here with charming old school appeal, especially “Are You Happy in Your Work?”

1 - Girls Town. I love The Platters too much not to put this at #1, Paul Anka notwithstanding.

3 Likes

I must admit, that wawka chi wawka is awesome.

“It was the 3rd of September!”

1 Like

In the MST3K world: Time Chasers. Non-MST3K, has to be The Muppet Movie (original one). Only because those are classic songs that never die.

1 Like

Don Ellis’ first soundtrack. He didn’t have a long life, but he packed a lot of work into it. Two of his other scores were for The French Connection and The Seven-Ups. Oh, and at least one RT target, 1977’s Ruby.

2 Likes

Wow this is tough! For MST movies all my favs have been mentioned so I won’t reiterate them

Non-MST films?

• 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Pulp Fiction
  • The Big Lebowski
2 Likes

Just remember to only use “Danger!! Death Ray”'s soundtrack for peaceful purposes.

3 Likes

It comes with a caution label that says “Bupa Dupa Dada.”

2 Likes

Me and my brother’s joint MST3K/RiffTrax LP soundtrack collection is currently at 2 and growing! This raises an interesting question: do any of you folks out there actually own soundtracks from movies riffed on the show? I know Manos was repressed recently, and I would love to see if there are any super-dedicated crate diggers out there who have found original pressings and the like.

3 Likes

Even when John Barry scored bad movies (Starcrash, anyone?), he NEVER phoned it in. And last week while watching the underrated The Last Valley, I was admiring his art yet again. His score for The Last Valley may not be one of his more famous works, but it SHOULD be. https://youtu.be/xEqAACkbaNQ?si=XZVm6qFDz4cw0G2T

2 Likes

For non-MST movies and licensed music (vs. a score), for me it’s Boogie Nights, hands down. Pulp Fiction set the bar, but Boogie Nights blew right past it and I’m still waiting for someone to do better.

The folks who did the Yor soundtrack also did a bunch of cheesy italo disco soundtracks for the legendary Italian action-comedy-western actor BUF SPENCER (one of my favorite people period)

1 Like