Horror Hosts

What Horror movie hosts did you grow up with? I had Big Chuck&Hoolihan then with Little John,Super-Host on Saturday afternoons,Ghoulardi started here then The Ghoul

6 Likes

Svenghoulie and Elvira were staples for me! Never really got into Joe Bob Briggs.

3 Likes

Most of the ones I grew up with were local celebrities

4 Likes

Spending a lot of time in the burbs (parents divorced when I was 2) I was deeply invested in Svenghoulie. The Berwyn joke killed me every time!

And Elvira is still a huge crush of mine. Gorgeous, hilarious AND creepy?!?!

3 Likes
5 Likes

These were not a thing in England, the closest we ever got was a sort-of-show called “Dom And Kirk’s Night-O-Plenty” that was unpopular and only 3 people remember.

I knew about Elvira, because she would show up in ads in the American Comics that would sometimes show up in my local newsagent, so seeing her movie was like getting a radio signal from Mars.

6 Likes

It must be an American thing🤷‍♀️

4 Likes

It’s one of those American things that are incomprehensible outside America.

Like Grits, no-one else understands what Grits are, we assume they’re like little bits of meat, so to find out it’s Porridge when you first go to a Diner in the states is upsettingly weird.

“Why do they make a big deal out of porridge in American films!?!” - Most English people upon finding out what Grits actually are.

4 Likes

I just found out this very second that grits are porridge…

The internet CAN be a force of good, sometimes!

4 Likes

I love grits😅

4 Likes

Ahem. You mean “what Grits actually is.”

5 Likes

While I was familiar with movie hosts, the one that always stood out to me the most and that I actually watched was Joe Bob Briggs. He was awesome back when I was watching him (in the 90s) and is still doing great over on Shudder now.

5 Likes

I used to read his movie reviews…very funny

3 Likes

I grew up in the Chicagoland area and was able to see both Jerry in the original incarnation as well as Rich.

My Dad loved old horror and sci-fi. I remember him being excited when they brought the show back.

I for one always enjoyed the shows. As a kid for Jerry and starting as a teen with Rich. I never did have any say on what could be watched and am lucky the old man enjoyed this kind of stuff. :laughing:

6 Likes

Ber-wyn!

4 Likes

I grew up with Monster Movie Matinee in Syracuse NY, hosted by Dr. E Nick Witty. It aired at 1pm on Saturdays, right after cartoons. It showed The Crawling Eye too often, but it was great nonetheless.

5 Likes

Growing up in NE North Carolina, I had two. The main one was Dr. Madblood on WAVY TV-10 from Norfolk, VA. He came on at 1AM and showed both classics and dreadful MST3K-quality films. There was always a story line involving regular characters, two (Mike Arlo and Jim Stanley) were local Norfolk radio guys. WAVY-TV 10 also ran, at 6:30pm on Saturdays, “Creature Feature.” They always showed Universal horrors. They were so short they fit into a 90-minute time slot.
The other, who I could pick up when the weather was right, was The Bowman Body on WXEX, Channel 8, from Richmond, VA. He’s been described as the Bob Newhart of Horror Hosts, and I think that’s exactly right. Very dry and entertaining. There are several clips of him on YouTube.

5 Likes

Seymour
He was the absolute best.

5 Likes

Rhonda Sheer on USA Up All Night.

3 Likes

Morgus the Magnificent for me!

4 Likes