International Puppet Show Thread

Since a decade ago, I’ve been enjoying some of Jim Henson’s earliest projects.
Before Kermit became who he is today, he started his career in a TV show from the mid-50’s to 1961: Sam and Friends.

Jim also made these funny (yet in today’s world: hilariously sadistic) Wilkins Coffee commercials. I even talked about it in the coffee thread.

7 Likes

I’ve always had a soft spot for Basil Brush. BOOM! BOOM!

1 Like

As of today, I added one more Japanese puppet variety show from NHK to the party: Hook Book Row (フックブックロー).
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m6XqUSs5SVGLcwrIhMUZ-MynLbfPV0HC?usp=sharing

2 Likes

6 3/4 years ago, I discovered this direct-to-VHS short safety movie, called The Great 9-1-1 Adventure. It was… something.

And in 2015, Chadtronic reacted to it.

Oh. And lastly, here’s a little fun fact: Tim Blaney, who would later puppeteer GPC for MST3K’s Netflix seasons, also worked on the short!

Speaking of puppet shows, Gizmoplex sponsor Bear Manor Media is publishing a new book about Jim Henson’s first show, Sam and Friends, later this month:

4 Likes

Not only that, but Tough Pigs announced that the Museum of the Moving Image will also show remastered Sam and Friends clips and Wilkins Coffee commercials, AND show us the newly-discovered lost episode of S&F!!!

5 Likes

When Nickelodeon and R.L. Stine got together:

And from Canada, Telefrancais! Which kids my age were always shown in French class when the teacher was having a day. Ananas! Et les Squelettes!

3 Likes

Ever since NHK ended their puppet variety show saga half-a year ago (Yeah. I prefer to say “saga” rather than “series”, so can it), my love for my favorite show out of four, Quintet, grew stronger than ever before. So for that, since the show’s 20th anniversary starts next year, I drew these fanarts in preparation for it (which took me a few months). Here’re the normal, and concert variat of the pics:

Wait. What’s that? You want the translated version of the normal pic as well? Well here ya go!

2 Likes

You didn’t translate the second picture. I am in suspense!

1 Like

I didn’t have that much time. And the fact that Photoshop can be a bit slow sometimes.

1 Like

Happy Birthday to the creator of the Muppets: Jim Henson.
And as of today, the book about his first TV show: Sam & Friends by BearManor Media has been revealed at the Museum of the Moving Image!!!

6 Likes

So Hanna Barbera tried a Muppet Show knockoff once…

4 Likes

Here’s this New Zealand puppet show I discovered since yesterday.

And I thought that Meet the Feebles, which’s also from New Zealand, was bizarre!

3 Likes

We took the kids to see Jurassic World Live last night, and the dinosaur puppetry is impressive.

The smaller dinos, mostly the raptors and a troodon who is the main dinosaur character, are full-body puppets.

The larger dinos appear to be mobile animatronics that are piloted by someone onboard.

The show-stopper, of course, is the T-Rex, which is accompanied by an incredibly loud, low rumble that you can feel in your bones as it goes by.

3 Likes

Yvonne Freese does full body dinosaur puppetry in a science museum in Minnesota.

She talked about it during one of the livestreams.

5 Likes

When I was a kid it was all about Suoermarionation
thunderbird GIF

3 Likes

OMG. This is like if Ed the Sock and The Muppet Show had a child, who then became Associate Producer for Mary Tyler Moore Pictures. This is golden.

1 Like

Here’s a project similar to the Squelettes video:

2 Likes

Not to be too obvious but, is there any greater feat of puppetry?

rick moranis GIF

Well, maybe…

The Thing Monster GIF by Arrow Video

3 Likes

Poor Wookiee monster has exactly the reaction you should have to a nine foot tall snapping turtle…

3 Likes