Intro to Riffing: Class of 2021

Ok same issue as everyone else. Got the notification but the app froze. Not sure if it was included in my Kickstarter donation or not, i forget lol.

I don’t recall signing up for anything special so perhaps im not supposed to be included?

2 Likes

Apologies all. Vimeo OTT glitched again and notified everyone about today’s class, not just the people who registered and paid for it. We’re looking into what happened, but I apologize for the unintended notification.

7 Likes

It’s all good, Ivan. I bet a lot of us were confused at this point. Can’t believe that Vimeo’s glitch made us believe that we got the class for free!

2 Likes

Hi Ivan, I had the ClassPass in my rewards tier and received no prior notification of this class or any of the previous live classes. Are the recorded classes going to be made available for those of us with the ClassPass reward?

2 Likes

Who’s going to sneak out some Cliff’s Notes?

2 Likes

“Step 1: Be Funny”

…crap.

5 Likes

It’s okay, the education system is only set up so that your final grade is based on being perfect from the very start rather than how much you know at the end.

3 Likes

I wrote a college paper on riffing back in 1995. The general approaches were not difficult to identify and included…

1. Premature sentence completion: How to step over someone’s lines and make it funny.
  2. Physical resemblance observation: Does a C-list actor or an extra look like someone else? Point it out!
  3. Poor quality can be fun: If the acting, directing, props, script, cinematography, and editing are bad then its a feature not a bug!
  4. Cultural reference 101: Humans always do the same things … so tie what that person did in 1950 to something in 2022.
  5. Protagonist Pinata: Your protagonist is on the screen most of the time … learn how to make their foibles into comedy gold.

There’s more but you get the idea. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Students who participated in any of the three GIZMONICS INTRO CLASSES will find that they now have access to private class forums, here on the MST3K Discourse.

If you were in a class and aren’t seeing them, message me!

4 Likes