Lurid Pulp Covers

The Collected Works of Thomas Aquinas… as you’ve never seen them before!

3 Likes

Not gonna lie, I am impressed with some of those covers. I think my favorite is the All Quiet on the Western Front on. :rofl:

2 Likes

I like Frankenstein. Because it has absolutely nothing to do with Frankenstein and the monster is basically just a dude.

1 Like

To be fair, the original Frankenstein was supposed to be able to pass for a normal human outside of the eyes.

1 Like

I thought he was scary-looking and that’s why he terrified the family he was listening to for months when he was hiding next to their cabin?

1 Like

Not Mary Shelley’s book, if I remember correctly. In the original book, the monster did what he did because his creator threw him out because he wasn’t perfect.

Wikipedia says she describes him as 8 feet tall for one thing, so I don’t know about that.

1 Like

Wait, you mean that’s not a novelisation of the Boris Karloff movie?!

Sidenote, we used to live in Mary Shelley’s hometown/burial place, and no one there did anything Frankenstein-themed. Contrast that to Whitby, where Bram Stoker stayed while writing Dracula, which fully embraces the whole vampire thing.

1 Like

It’s because you’d have to be The Last Man on Earth to go to Bournemouth.

(I told that joke for myself and to heck with all of you.)

3 Likes

I read a short story, of which I forget both the title and the author, and I’m not even sure where I read it (though it might have been one of Dozois’s Year’s Best); in this version of the story Dr. Frankenstein realises he’s now responsible for his creation. Feeding, dressing, toilet training, homeschooling…

1 Like

That sounds like a wonderful story.

1 Like

4 Likes

“So, the plan is to shoot her when she gets up, right?”

“I am Groot. And I am in pain.”

2 Likes

Dang sunrise. Can’t a tree get five more minutes?

1 Like

4 Likes

That robot’s not wearing any clothes! How shocking!

2 Likes

This book is about a futuristic society where people can change their bodies like they change their underwear. Tell me, does this cover describe the contents AT ALL?

images

I swear, when I was reading this book, people kept asking me, ‘WHAT are you READING?’ I finally ripped the cover off and taped it back on backwards.

4 Likes

I take it “The Naked Nympho Who Bucked the Picket Line” has no relation to the Hugh Walpole novel of the same title?

5 Likes
  1. If only Coleman Francis had thought to include some Commie Killing Joy-Girls . . . Wait a minute, who am I kidding? I’m sure Coleman Francis thought about it, he just couldn’t afford it!

2. Who ever could have guessed that Fidel’s most deadly enemy would turn out to be Cindi (who, no doubt, still dots her "i"s with :heart:s.

3 Likes