Movies for MST3K: The Animated Series

Legend of Kung Fu Rabbit - A Chinese knock-off of the Kung Fu Panda movies and one of the few where the sequel is actually a better movie than the first. I have read that the Chinese authorities were upset by the low quality of the movie and that people asked how America could do a better Chinese Movie than a Chinese company? The plot and dialogue are horrible.
Legend of Kung Fu Rabbit DVD

1 Like

it’s “animation” stop motion, animation. so it counts. Holiday specials animated or not would be a gold mind for riffing. The Island of Misfit Christmas Specials is a great list. I’m not saying they are all bad either.

1 Like

1981_-_Enchanted_Journey

The 1981 anime movie Gurikko no Bokken, known in English as “The Enchanted Journey”, is about a chipmunk named Glikko (who resembles a squirrel) who leaves his home as a pet in someone’s city apartment with the aid of his sister. Why does he does this? A pigeon named Pippo tells him about a vast forest to the north of the city where hundreds of chipmunks live; Glikko decides this is where he belongs and leaves, encountering rats, a zoo, cats and a hungry fox to make it there.

This anime isn’t awful by any means but the English dub raises its cheese factor. On the upside, Orson Welles and Jim Backus provided voices for the dub!

1 Like

Transformers: the Movie.

Hear me out here.

I re-watched this a few years back and woooo it does not hold up. Tons of “who are you and why would I care,” tons of “did you just kill off the toys of a million children?”, and large amounts of very jerky animation. The voice acting by the actual actors is still fantastic, but you can’t save this movie. Nostalgia just does not pay off.

Still better than the Michael Bay versions, tho.

3 Likes

Don’t forget–Orson Welles, fresh off those infamous frozen peas ads, in his final role.

2 Likes

The Brave Little Toaster image

1 Like

As long as Grimlock is there bein’ Grimlock, I was happy. Wheelie sucks, though.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the sequels, but the original is a classic. Some delightfully dark scenes and fun voice artistry.

3 Likes

Sadly (?) the ones I’d want to see aren’t rated PG…

1 Like

I haven’t seen the sequels either, but I keep meaning to watch the second one because William Finn wrote the songs.

2 Likes

It’s actually one of a number of Korean knock-offs that were made around the same time and sometimes share animation. Is that the one with the Tron rip-off?

1 Like

Treasure Planet. No, not the Disney one, the OTHER one.

1 Like

I would suggest this one, but be warned - you may be put on a government watch list due to the gratuitous panty shots on the Chipettes and the song where they sing to a snake about wanting to get lucky.

No. I’m not kidding.

5 Likes

1979’s nightmare fueled (AND inducing) world of Nutcracker Fantasy. A Rankin-Bass knockoff with Stiff Japanese Puppets, Christopher Lee, and a terrifying boogeyman (the Ragman) that hovered outside your window like Ralphie Glick and turned children who wouldn’t sleep into mice.
It still causes me distress.

3 Likes

Oh, man. I was coming here to nominate this. It’s bad. It’s so so bad. One scene is literally Pac-Man. And I’m pretty sure there were only 2 or 3 voice actors for the English dub.

1 Like

You beat me to this!

This film was mentioned as a lead on the infamous lost film Clockman.

Anyway, given how Gumby was ripe material for MST3K, stop motion animation has potential.

2 Likes

I remember loving that movie as a kid. Especially for the boys/girls of rock n’ roll number.

2 Likes

It’s probably not going to be appropriate now that one has passed away from Covid, but the movie really wasn’t any good. Sigfried and Roy made a cartoon. “Sigfried and Roy: Masters of the Impossible” The cartoon (1996) was only 4 episodes, and the movie is likely the episodes cobbled together. Google gave very few results, but it appears that some people have it. One result is asking for $2 and change for it.
This is pg13, but there’s a Batman movie where Robin/ Nightwing has sex with Harley Quinn. It’s called Batman and Harley Quinn. Appropriately named isn’t it. It’s weird, and probably riffable. I haven’t watched it in awhile.

2 Likes

I love Wizards but it’s definitely not for everyone and very open to riffing. I’d say the same for Fire and Ice, though it’s probably not family friendly enough for MST3K, Rifftrax maybe.

3 Likes

I just found out that the Titanic Animated movie and its sequel, Tenticolino, also had an animated TV show called Fantasy Island. All of them would be possible Riff movies.

1 Like