MST3k cast's non riffing roles?

Joel and Trace are among the voice actors in A Belly Full of Anger.

Patton and Felicia have both cameo’d in videos for The Aquabats superhero team/rock band/kids’ show hosts. In one episode Patton was revealed to be face behind the mask of arch-villain Powdered Milk Man.

3 Likes

… and that makes another connection I have (through various degrees of separation) to MST3k! It’s a small world, especially when considering the sheer number of people The Aquabats! have worked with.

3 Likes

Aye, The Aquabats! seem to be one of those “hub” entities that radiate connections all over the place. What was your work with them like?

2 Likes

I wish I’d worked with them!! I met Gerard Way at a convention and talked with him, and he was on Yo Gabba Gabba, another project from them!
(… like I said, few degrees of separation!)

2 Likes

Ah, my partner is a fan of Gerard Way, both his music and his comic book work. He is a talented fellow. He also did a stint writing one of my favorite comic books, Doom Patrol.

3 Likes

He also wrote an Aquabats episode. The best one, easily, because of “Governor Robot” a governor who is also a robot. At the end of the episode, he is terrified when a villain reveals himself and panics and says, in a robot voice, “VETO! VETO!”

4 Likes

I think the first time I knew who Felicia Day was when I watched The Guild on Netflix around, I want to say, 2010 or 2011ish? So I was happy she got cast on MST3K.

Patton Oswalt is best known for being a comedian, but he’s turned in some solid dramatic work, too, particularly in Young Adult and Big Fan. I recommend both (though I believe they’re both rated R, so don’t watch with your kids).

3 Likes

The first thing I watched Felicia Day in was in the Web series Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog. It also starred Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion as the titular role and hero. (And Simon Helberg as Dr. Horrible’s sidekick.)

I didn’t know of the new cast members until named for the first #BringBackMST3K Kickstarter. Then I saw Baron in a recurring role in the Comedy Central series Corporate. And Jonah as a “contestant” on several of Comedy Central’s @ Midnight. Neither were really something I would normally watch, but I was glad to see two of the future MST3K stars.

FWIW: the Yahoo Screen! series Joel and Trace were on was Other Space. (Maybe autocorrect or the poster above misspelled it.) It’s now on the DUST OTT channel. Other Space on DUST

4 Likes

He had a recurring role in Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD.

2 Likes

I loved Joel’s character in Freaks & Geeks and also really enjoyed Trace’s small part. Miss that show!!

2 Likes

I’ve seen it and uh, well, hmm, what can I say.

Emily Marsh is in it… it has that going for it.

It probably has a cult following, it seems like the kind of movie that might develop into that, but it wasn’t my kind of thing.

The trailer (there’s some bloody scenes so beware if you squeamish about that) you get a glimpse of Emily

4 Likes

Frank Conniff had some segments on FXX’s ‘Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell’ on 2012, which was a comedy current events/politics show that had kind of an amazing writer’s room and which I liked a lot. I think he joined the show (or at least started doing on-air segments) in the second season, but I might be misremembering.

3 Likes

huh, what is it with Frank joining the cast of shows in the second season?

2 Likes

Man’s not an early adopter :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes! That’s back when he was doing prop comedy. He was a key figure in my childhood.

2 Likes