MST3K: The Final Episode

Tony Scott’s Domino (2005). Certainly a late night episode and not possible for countless reasons. In my travels, one of the most painful deliberately repellant movies of the last 20 years. Natural Born Killers (1994) seems like Citizen Kane (1994) by comparison.

Oh I believe it (I have not seen SOTS). Birth of a Nation was absolutely groundbreaking – it invented such basic concepts as the close-up and the fade. However, AFAIK nobody won any barrier-breaking Oscars for it.

2 Likes

First movie with sound:

Actually he wasn’t even nominated for the Academy Award. Hedda Hopper did petition for him to receive an honorary Oscar however. The first black man to win the Oscar was Sidney Poitier. The first black person (and woman) to win an Oscar was Hattie McDaniel for Gone With The Wind.

2 Likes

He was the first black man to win an Oscar, not the first black man to win Best Actor. It was an honorary Oscar, but he still won it and still deserves that credit.

3 Likes

Rob Reiner’s North (1994). An infamously bad movie. One that spawned Roger Ebert’s legendary slam “I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie.” Elijah Wood, Jon Lovitz, Jason Alexander, Julie Louis-Dreyfus, Alan Arkin, Dan Akyroyd, Reba McEntire, Alexander Gudunov, Kelly McGillis, Graham Greene, Kathy Bates, Abe Vigoda, John Ritter, Scarlett Johansson, Ben Stein, Bruce Willis. The extent of riffing targets is limitless and the film’s quality matches the occasion. A final episode if ever there was one.

I’m hazy on what exactly an “honorary Oscar” entails, but it’s a pretty long list of recipients, so sure, worthy of note.

2 Likes

It’s not hard to find if you’re ever curious; archive.org alone has multiple copies. I actually think it’s an intentional strategy on the part of Disney to rob the movie of the mystique it might otherwise have had, since Disney is extremely good (and fast) at enforcing copyright on, say, The Lion King or Aladdin. And it seems to work, because (outside of the impossible to ignore racism) I’ve seen a lot of people express how boring they found it.

2 Likes

What bothers me is that Disney is terrified of the racism in Song of the South tarnishing their reputation, but they’re fine with Dumbo, which features a bunch of crows with stereotype “black” voices and one of them is named JIM. But Disney loves Dumbo.

Sure, that’s just one scene, but it’s a pivotal scene in the movie and Disney has stood by Dumbo since its release.

Edit: Disney also cut the black maid centaurs out of Fantasia but kept the mushroom dance with its Asian stereotypes. They’re just really inconsistent about this.

3 Likes

Uh… Mike Nelson wants his bunny suit back.

2 Likes

For whatever it’s worth they’ve actually attempted to rectify that in recent years. The animated originals have disclaimers on Disney+, the crows are gone from the live-action Dumbo remake, and the Siamese cats are gone from the Lady and the Tramp remake. It shouldn’t have taken this long, but definitely better late than never here.

4 Likes

Having seen the live action Lady and the Tramp, the replacement cats in the remake pretty much fulfill the same antagonist role as the Siamese cats in the original.

3 Likes

I’m guessing because it’s easier to remove one character than a group of them that have the focus.

2 Likes

Bambi II also has that D2V smell.

Not without a time machine, they didn’t.

Birth of a Nation was released in 1915. The first Academy Awards were held in 1929, honoring films from 1927-1928. There were two “best picture” awards back then: Outsanding Picture (Wings) and Best Unique and Artistic Picture (Murnau’s marvellous Sunrise).

Janet Gaynor won for best actress for three movies: Street Angel, 7th Heaven and Sunrise.

They were just trying to gin up some legitimacy for their disreputable industry, tbh.

5 Likes

I’m starting to understand why your username starts with ‘movie’ :grin: You are a fount of film knowledge!

3 Likes

And ends with Zheek!

2 Likes

As long as there’s not a “Krem” before the “Zheek”.

*Idly sits back to see who gets that.

1 Like

It may not be a concidence!

It’s, uh, French for “one who is perhaps unhealthily obsessed with something, or one who mord la tête des poulets”.

4 Likes

And according to the book “Inside Oscar” by Wiley and Bona, Sunrise wasn’t the ‘original’ winner, The Crowd was. But Louis B Mayer disliked the realism of King Vidor’s picture so much that he pressured judges to change votes and select Sunrise instead. Right off the bat, the Academy makes a mockery of itself.

The 30s were strange as far as what they took and what they bypassed. Take “Three Smart Girls” in 1936 for example, it was cute, and if there was an award for “Cutest Movie of the Year” it would certainly qualify - but best picture? I suspect the nomination was more about promoting their new young star, Deanna Durbin, than awarding a great film. (Unnominated films in '36 include My Man Godfrey, Fury, Rembrandt, Swing Time and Modern Times? Sure, TV-sitcom level Three Smart Girls was better than all that, and timeless too) :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t get me started on Louis B!

I was gonna say, “Well, it did VERY well at the box office” but it was about comparable to Swing Time so—yeah, you’re doubtless right. Many things are at play in the Oscars and artistic merit is WAY down the list.

On and Modern Times did significantly better and IS FREAKIN’ MODERN TIMES!

3 Likes

Funny, I originally was going with something Zheek in my mind as well, which if you replace the “q” with a “g” it becomes Gigue, which is pronounced zheek).

A Gigue is a lively baroque dance originating from the English jig (according to the experts). So I figured that movies made him so happy, he was doing this after viewing one…

Edit, but I get it now.

Edit, edit - and that vid amuses me so, that I think I’ll take that up after seeing a good picture, just leave the theater dancing a gigue and singing “happy, happy, happy, happy, happy me!”)

4 Likes