Obscure Nostalgia

My dad had that VHS; he showed it at a Star Trek convention and John De Lancie asked if he could buy my dad’s copy. Dad gave it to him for free. :grin:

9 Likes

HOCUS POCUS! ABRACADABRA!
Muffy!
The escalators!

Wow, haven’t thought about that in years, but oh yeah, I remember it.

4 Likes

I would say that the cartoon Vehicle Force Voltron is something that has slid into obscurity as Lion Force Voltron is the one people associate and/or overwhelmingly remember the most.

4 Likes

Biker Mice from Mars
Wild West COW Boys from Moo Mesa
Mighty Max
-and-
I just rediscovered the Beetlejuice cartoon.(available in the Shout! Store, though)
And I want to re-watch Street Sharks (I own on DVD)

5 Likes

I loved the National Film Board of Canada cartoon shorts. The Log Driver’s Waltz is still a lovely song to me…

But for straight up laughs, Richard Condie’s cartoons still got it. Why don’t you go join some kinda shakin’ rock and roll band?!

10 Likes

Haven’t seen this in years! Thanks for sharing it!

4 Likes

There’s a cartoon that I think is from the NFB that was shown in the '70s on an American program called International Animation Festival. (They showed a lot of films from the NFB.) I’d love to find this one, but all I can remember is a scene with the Statue of Liberty singing the famous aria from Madame Butterfly.

6 Likes

That rings a bell. I’ll have to have a look!

3 Likes

We used to show The Log Driver’s Waltz to my daughter when she was little. NFB has a ton of stuff on YouTube and even more on their website. I’m in awe of what they have been able to bring to fruition over the years.

4 Likes

Think I got it for you. The singing Statue of Liberty starts at about 6:30.

4 Likes

There were so many interesting programs on PBS; I managed to track this one down 30 years later, and it’s part of my Christmas tradition now:

6 Likes

Animusic used to come on after Red Dwarf and Dr Who on weekends midnight.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot!

4 Likes

They used to play those after the Saturday night Britcoms on PBS just about 10 years ago. Right before the astronomer guy.

3 Likes

Ed Grimley is the best, I must say. Many of these shows can be seen on archive.org.

7 Likes

I’m going to cheat and throw the local PBS station card. The show was All Aboard with Mr. Be, the engineer of the Wonder Train, who worked alongside Poncey the Lion and Troilus the Train-Loving Troll. It was the roots of my lifelong love for puppets. As a bonus, it began in the early 1960s, when The General was touring the nation for the Civil War centennial, and Mr. Be was filmed running the engine for the opening theme.
1253220314-misterbe

5 Likes

Would you say Mr. Be was more artificial or was he a Mr. Be Natural?

8 Likes

Forgot to mention, I know these shows will never be seen again because when I was about 12 I asked a producer at the station about the show, and she said they’d played those tapes until the images were worn away and so just erased them all.

4 Likes

He was “Mr. Be” because he could “be” anything. I don’t know what that says about his character or essence.

5 Likes

Haven’t found a good quality video of this yet, but I searched for years as I had always remembered it from childhood somewhere. Rock and Roll Pet Store, apparently played on HBO in the 80’s.

4 Likes