Put on a robe and fling some magic: It's your OPEN THREAD for the premiere of DOCTOR MORDRID, tonight at 8pm ET / 5pm PT, only in the Gizmoplex!

@RocketJForklift, @Dr_Phantom, and I are correct about the Oxford comma.

7 Likes

Wasnā€™t she also the decoy FBI agent in Jason Goes to Hell?

1 Like

Is that Phil LaMarr?

Music by Howard Blake, who also scored The Duellists and Flash Gordon. Oh, and also Amityville 3D.

5 Likes

If you mean Stockholm Syndrome, there have been articles about it for years. There was a tweet thread (sadly, the account that posted it has since been deleted) about it that got quite a lot of attention two years ago.

It is! Good eye. The picture was taken at Emerald City ComicCon. But I had the honor of having dinner with him that night, and got to read a couple of lines in the recording booth with him and some very familiar voices.

Thatā€™s me with Maurice Lamarche (The Brain from Pinky & The Brain), Jim Cummings (Pooh, Tigger, Darkwing Duck, etc.), Billy West (Fry and Prof Farnsworth from Futurama), Phil LaMar, Steve Blum (Wolverine, and every gravely-voiced tough guy from every video game ever), Matt Mercer, Matt Yang King (Love, Death, and Robots, various video game roles, Marty Mantle on Riverdale, etc.), and Jennifer Hale (Sheppard from Mass Effect, Miss Keane on the original Powerpuff Girls, etc.). Directed by Charlie Adler (Buster from Tiny Toons, Starscream from the Transformers movies, T-Bone from SWAT Kats, and many more).

Partly because the walk-on voice cameo was a (very expensive but absolutely amazing) Kickstarter reward and partly because the series creator is a personal friend. It was a hell of a weekend.

(But I honestly donā€™t have a better picture of the squid hat handy. I sadly donā€™t get enough occasion to wear it. Itā€™s also very lightweight with a very large surface area, so tends not to do well outdoors.)

6 Likes

Haha, thatā€™s pretty awesome. I am familiar with most of them.

2 Likes

I write the newsletter for a local organization, and a lovely woman (who used to work at a major newspaper) proofreads and edits it.

I like Oxford commas. She does not. 80% of her edits are stricken commas :joy:

3 Likes

Gah. Come on. The Oxford comma serves a very useful function. The only reason it was ever dropped in newspaper publishing was that they were using manual typesetting. Sliding that extra little comma tile into the row could be a real pain, and could mess up the column width. But that hasnā€™t been how papers have been published in generations. Itā€™s ridiculous that theyā€™re still teaching people not to use it. I thought they were supposed to be in the business of current events.

4 Likes

I definitely may have missed something, because trying to a) watch the episode while b) following the forum and c) managing the fact that most of you are 2 minutes ahead of me because of Roku lag, definitely leaves a sort of attention deficit.

So please correct me if Iā€™m wrong was was the entire plot of this movie, ā€œHi Iā€™m Jeffrey Combs and I donā€™t blink. My childhood friend turned evil and he was going to take over the world with the help of his two white trash henchpeople. So I stabbed him with a fossil. The end.ā€ Is that about it?

6 Likes

I didnā€™t read through everything during the livestream, but I did love that mech hands made another appearance during Tomā€™s stand up routine.

5 Likes

Ok so Iā€™ve just watched the non-livestream version and
JEFFREY COMBS
DUDE FROM THE X-FILES / DS9
KAWALSKY FROM STARGATE SG-1
EDGAR

First off, Jeffrey Combs is a god so the only gripe I have is that he only played 1 role. :smiley:
(Brian Thompson looked fabulous.)
I actually wanted not-Kawalsky to die but hey, Combs saved the entire human race so hey-ho.

Loved the banter - I spat my drink out at his talk ā€˜Criminial Minds and Supernaturalā€™ and Crow goes 'Shemar Moore and Jensen Ackes!"
So many good riffs I canā€™t go into them all. Really enjoying the new hosts, even if I do miss old Crow.

Thatā€™s it - Iā€™m back to lurking. Going to go see what supernatural stuff (sadly without Jensen Ackles) is in the Vault Picks this month. :partying_face:

2 Likes

He was also the landlord.

5 Likes

I agree. Sure, you can have a list of items with no Oxford comma that still reads clearly. But adding it correctly has never, ever, confused the meaning of a sentence, while omitting it most definitely can. So why not use it?

But I really value her proofreading skills so I let her have that one.

3 Likes

Oh yeah! ā€œAlso Iā€™m a sh!tty landlord that wonā€™t fix your garbage disposal. The end.ā€

4 Likes

ā€¦ That does pretty much sum things up, yes. I honestly did not think being stabbed with a fossil was going to be the end. But I kind of love that it was.

But also apparently he and Robocopā€™s partner fell in love at some point along the way.

Yes. That also made me happy.

5 Likes

That sounds like the movieā€¦ But werenā€™t they brothers? (Maybe I just assumed because thatā€™s the more common trope.)

3 Likes

ā€¦maybe? I mean they DO look alike :joy:

2 Likes

Well, you know, put your male and female leads in a few scenes together and theyā€™ve got to be a couple. Itā€™s the Hollywood way! Did we learn nothing from Robot Wars?

4 Likes

I donā€™t think they were brothers. I donā€™t remember exactly what he said. But I believe they were just training together under the same master. This is based on Doctor Strange, and his enemy is Baron Mordo. Mordo and Strange are not related, but know each other because they were both apprenticed to the Ancient One. Mordo got jealous that the Ancient One favored Strange, and turned evil, allying himself with the dread Dormmamu (a powerful demon from a Hell-like dimension).

1 Like

Uhā€¦ spoiler alert?

:wink:

1 Like