Put on a robe and fling some magic: It's your OPEN THREAD for the premiere of DOCTOR MORDRID, tonight at 8pm ET / 5pm PT, only in the Gizmoplex!

Sadly, “He tried to stab me with a mastodon!” isn’t quite as catchy.

5 Likes

ooooops

2 Likes

Ahh but THANK YOU for realising it was a mastodon and not a mammoth!

4 Likes

Had to miss the actual Friday stream as I was attending a birthday party which also functioned as a Bring-Your-Own-Riffs viewing of the Brian Bosworth non-classic STONE COLD.

Just put on the live stream at pretty much 6:40 PM my time as it usually starts for me on Friday, and I just want to state the second moody piece of jazz on the Transmission screen is amazing. I"m looking forward to THE GIZMOPLEX SESSIONS being released for our listening pleasure at some point.

2 Likes

For whatever reason, it made me think of Slurms MacKenzie from Futurama. “Wimmy wham wham wozzle!”

And it’s a very good stinger.

8 Likes

I still love Servo pulling book summaries out of his hoverskirt.

1 Like

Apparently I can go back and edit my own comment to blur the spoilers but it doesn’t blur quote replies…

ah well, folks shouldn’t read 2300 comments before watching the episode I guess :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I had assumed that if you were coming back to read the thread 24 hours after the episode aired, that you’d already seen it by now. But I guess there’s no time limit specified.

I agree, in fact I had believed that the “no spoilers” rule only applied to posting spoilers before the livestream was over, since it’s possible to watch the episode before the livestream. Which is why I didn’t bother in the first place… but then I figured well I’ll see if I can do it after the fact. Which I can! But yeah, reading the livestream thread before watching the episode is kinda asking for spoilers, so hopefully nobody who cares is doing that.

Also, anyone got a source on those kick-ass blue pajamas yet??

3 Likes

The whole thread is filled with spoilers because we were talking about the episode while we were watching it. That’s the purpose of the live thread. Anyone reading the thread should be prepared for that.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not actually sweating it. Viva la spoilers! Also, don’t forget to blink.

I know someone who would disagree with you.

5 Likes

It’s reasonable. We have a similar policy in a webcomic Discord server where I mod.

Personally, I often cannot make the livestreams and do not want to be spoiled. And even when I do watch the streams, I’m often a minute or two behind the non-Roku people.

But yes. I don’t open the thread until I’ve seen the episode and I accept the risk of spoilers during the stream. I appreciate the people who do blur them for me, though, and it’s not that difficult to do so, especially in the post-stream discussion.

1 Like

Yes, I see now that Lesley put that at the top of the thread. No one during the show was blurring anything as far as I noticed. I doubt that I’ll continue participating in the live threads if people not watching the episode are going to follow the live thread and complain about spoilers. I’ll just stay away in the future.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anyone actually complain about it. That certainly wasn’t my intent. But when our friendly neighborhood community manager makes a giant all caps rule at the top of the thread, I try to take notice. I think blurring spoilers in a live discussion thread is a courtesy, but one that can be understandably forgotten in the heat of a fast-paced live discussion.

I’m not arguing with you, I’m just surprised that the spoiler instruction (which I failed to notice before) is at the top of a thread designed to be used while the episode is airing. By that logic, every single comment in the thread should be blurred, and I don’t understand it. As I said, I think I’ll just decline to participate in these threads in the future.

I didn’t think you were arguing. And it’s not my intention to argue, either. Do what you feel is right for you. I’m just sad to see someone opt out of a discussion they’d otherwise enjoy and contribute to.

IDK. I personally don’t think blurring spoilers in these threads is a big deal either way? But maybe @Lesley can shed some light on the rule? The reasoning behind it, what qualifies as a spoiler, and for how long it applies?

1 Like

Because there is an episode screener available at 12:01 AM ET on the livestream premiere date, the spoiler warning is meant to prevent ruining any twists, turns, and jokes yet to come in the theater segments and the host segments during the livestream premiere. It’s to prevent folks who had already seen the episode from ruining anything for folks who hadn’t seen the episode before.

Like, imagine if at the top of the episode, someone wrote, “Wait until you see Dr. Erhardt pop up at the end to tie everything together!”

Or imagine if someone wrote “Man, you’re gonna love how goofy Brian Thompson’s death scene is when he gets gored by the dinosaur fossil!” within the opening moments of the movie.

Or imagine if someone spoiled any subsequent jokes or running gags that had yet to unfold, and so on and so forth. Like, for the sake of a made-up example, imagine if someone wrote that “There’ll be a cool BUPA DUPA DADA callback to Danger!! Death Ray during a chase scene later on!” before such a chase scene had occurred during the livestream premiere.

Running commentary where a forums user is remarking on what’s currently happening during the episode/movie is okay. Ruining the surprise of what happens later in the episode/movie is not okay.

8 Likes

The blurring of spoilers is more for those who watched the episode early. We don’t want folks saying things like Ooo, Oo, Oo, I love when Crow gives Tom a bop on the nose for his terrible pun here. It really kills me.

That’s the kind of spoilers we’re trying to prevent. Not so much the in-the-moment discussions.

EDIT: not making any comments that it was a mastodon, not a dinosaur. Not gonna do it. Bite your tongue. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

6 Likes

And that spoiler rule on these premiere threads began with Munchie, which is the first episode with the non-live early availability.

4 Likes