Show me something you're proud of

:+1:

1 Like

MST3K and the worlds of Gerry Anderson are no strangers to each other, so I thought I would post this. Following an auction in late 2020, I am the proud custodian (I don’t like to say owner) of a full costume from a 1986 pilot Gerry made named ‘Space Police’. The pilot didn’t sell (though Jim Henson showed interest in it, before dying a couple of weeks after he saw it) and has never been aired on TV, but was reworked and eventually became the 1994 TV series ‘Space Precinct’, starring Ted Shackelford of ‘Knots Landing’ fame.

This costume was one of a huge lot of props, costumes, models and other items that were destined for the dumpster but were instead rescued and taken home by one of the studio drivers. He died recently and the stuff came up for auction, much to the surprise of Gerry Anderson fans everywhere who had long considered the stuff lost for good!

This is the costume worn by Catherine Chevalier as Officer Cathy Costello, one of only two humans amongst the officers of Precinct 44 East, a station house orbiting a distant planet. Costello has the ability (through means never explained) to transform her skin into an indestructible material called Siliconide, which protects her from explosions etc. The costume as auctioned comprises the ‘explosion damaged’ shirt (missing its patches and badge) and trousers, undershirt, boots, belt with holster, sidearm, helmet and Siliconide facial appliance (which still has smudges of the actress’ foundation inside it!) I was very lucky to get the costume for well below estimate, and it became even more of a bargain when I discovered that the sidearm contained in the holster was in fact the sole hero prop with working lights! The additional undamaged shirt (with patches intact!) turned up some weeks later on eBay with items that were accidentally missed from the auction and I managed to secure that too! I am hoping to be able to put the costume on display at future Gerry Anderson events, along with the puppet version of the character which I am expecting to have in my collection in a couple of months.

8 Likes

I allowed myself to enjoy Christmas again. I lost my best friend 12/23/17. This is one of my best photography tricks I’ve pulled off.

11 Likes

Thank you so much! I did play everything myself. I had a friend engineer the drum session and help mix it a bit but otherwise, it’s all me.

2 Likes

I made Chicken Shoyu Ramen. That’s not instant, it’s a bowl of the real thing. BTW, Shoyu (soy sauce) is the type of broth. To say it was simply “delicious” is a gross understatement.

7 Likes

No, i’m not that good. I have an artist friend.

1 Like

Follow-up to my earlier post:

I am now the proud custodian of a genuine, screen-used Gerry Anderson puppet! This is one of the two puppets made of Officer Cathy Costello for ‘Space Police’; she is almost 3ft tall and constructed mainly from wood with foam padding. One of the two puppets was a ‘hero’ puppet for closeups and was rigged for movement, while the other one (which I have) was a ‘stunt’ version made for a shot in which she smashes through the window of a Presidential Monorail Train! I’m really proud to have both the puppet and the full size costume, and I am eagerly awaiting a chance to publicly display them!

2 Likes

I can’t show it to you because it was just a student speaking to me, but it did make me proud, especially because I’m losing my job.

I was walking to my office and a student was passing me and I recognized him and he said hi. He was in my science foundations class a few years ago. I asked him how he was doing and what he was majoring in. He told me he’d decided to major in biology and it was because of my class. He said that he’d been afraid of science before taking that class and he realized that it wasn’t something scary and it was something he could enjoy and so he decided to major in biology and he’s going to be graduating in the fall. It’s nice to know that I had such an impact.

8 Likes

Wow! That is friggin’ awesome! I think every teacher/educator aspires to hear a student say something like that to them.

2 Likes

Absolutely. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, I savor the moment.

2 Likes

I took some film classes in junior college and we had to add some music for a Summer friendly Target commercial for an assignment. I went with Magic by The Cars and it’s the thing I’m most proud of in any of those classes.

2 Likes

As a person who went to film school, I can attest that using the correct music is so hard. Kenneth Anger makes it look easy!

1 Like

Loved the sunny vibe of that song when I was 3 going on 4 so the nostalgia factor made it an easy pick for me.

Summer, summer, summer! It’s like a merry go round.

2 Likes

I didn’t have much to do with it…but she still makes me proud =)

3 Likes

I started a new job this week. Not much to “show” but I’m very proud to be a productive member of society again. So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.

12 Likes

Me and friends are working on a gaming blog, called Set Side B!

2 Likes