Show us your most recent mundane, stupid, non-MST3K accomplishment

LOL! Yeah, I’ve noticed some people really despise WW’s music, may he rest in peace.

When he rolled through Buffalo, I didn’t make his show, but I heard it was a bunch of fratboys there who were more or less there for the “gimmick.”

I don’t know what to say, but he had his own thing, man! Nothing much like him that I’ve heard.

5 Likes

You love him or hate him! I missed the opportunity to see his show years ago and I still regret it. Back when answering machines were still a thing, I had a quip from the Wesley Willis Fiasco on my outgoing message. Thanks for the nostalgia moment!

4 Likes

Rock on Chicago! Roll over London! Delta, we like to fly! Pontiac we build excitment!

4 Likes

Rock over London! Rock on Chicago! Diet Pepsi, Uh-huh! Foldgers, good to the last drop!

5 Likes

Rock over London. Rock home Chicago. Wheaties! Breakfast of Champions.

I’d take WW anyday over Michael McClure or Lawrence Ferlinghetti. To paraphrase Garth Hudson from Last Waltz, sometimes the best poets are from the streets. Although not to diminish City Lights importance as a small press.

No, it’s not to do with “authenticity,” whatever that is, it’s more having the balls to say one’s piece, and come out on the other end still standing.

4 Likes

Well, I don’t have much beyond surviving teaching my classes while feeling dizzy, but I did make this last week:

It’s a chocolate-orange zucchini cake with chocolate-orange ganache.

Other than that, I’m taking my first chemistry class (in spite of the fact that one of the classes I teach has a unit on chemistry) and right now, I have 103% which I’m sure will go down when we get beyond the stuff I’ve been teaching for the last six years. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Does completing a Lego Star Wars helmet count? Or finishing Mario galaxy on the switch? Not much but both are achievements for me.

14 Likes

3-in-a-row at the quiz! :star2:

I wasn’t quite as useful this week but still contributed enough key points to make a difference.

9 Likes

Of course, kiddo! Anything you feel good about is a win.

5 Likes

Thanks I wish I was a kiddo lol

5 Likes

There’s no crying in MST3k!

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I wouldn’t have done it any other way.

Here’s the obligatory corny moment. Anyway, you’re OK. I don’t even know you, but I can still say you’re all right!

4 Likes

I gotta know! BTW, propers to you for sticking your neck out as a teacher, with so many dingushole parents out there.

I never did orgo, but one thing I remember from inorganic first-year Chem is that, when balancing equations, I wish I’d learned linear algebra first. Makes balancing equations a snap.

You don’t have to share, of course, but I’m interested in the deets because, you know, kind of a nerd myself even though I pretend to be cool IRL. Fool lots of people IRL but I’m just a raving nerd or even a geek.

4 Likes

Thanks we all need to hear that from time to time.

4 Likes

Of course you’re welcome.

I don’t much cotton to children (i.e., anyone younger than me!), but I like teachers.

But what’s your strategy for balancing equations in chemistry?

For me it was a bolt of lightning seeing the Gauss-Jordan elimination method of solving linear formulae. Which, you know, in inorganic chem, is likely to be an integral or rational solution, but for me it helped to have an algorithm to chug through.

I wish I knew that in, say, high school, or in college, as an UG. It wasn’t until in my thirties that I learned more about these “tricks.”

4 Likes

Well, thankfully, I teach at a university so I don’t have to deal with parents. In fact, mostly, I can’t because my students are all adults. :slight_smile: The course I teach is an integrated science class for elementary ed so the level of instruction is not very advanced, but I had to learn chemistry from my geology, physics and astronomy classes and then fill in with some extra reading on my own, so I’m glad to get the chance to have a real chemistry class that will make what I learned on my own make sense. Hopefully. :slight_smile: This is just chem 101, so nothing overly complicated.

7 Likes

Today I removed the BIGGEST GO**AMNED SPIDER I have ever seen*

* outside of captivity/inside California; I’ve seen bigger in Florida

I didn’t just take it outside; I took it outside, up the walkway, down the street, past the next two houses and let it out in an empty lot. And yes I did scream like a little girl every time it moved.

16 Likes

I can’t stand spiders. I would not have done the catch and release thing. It would be dead.

2 Likes

I struggle with negative self talk and the momentum of doing the same nothing every day. It’s easy, comfortable and low energy. So I feel like it’s a big accomplishment that I finally got a mic set up and I’m learning to use Audacity. I’ve wanted to do voiceover since I can remember so finally doing something about that dream feels great.

P.S. I really appreciate this valuable conversation. Thank you!

15 Likes

It was too big to smoosh, no way I’m cleaning up that much spider goo. I’d have had to burn the house down and try to collect the insurance money.

12 Likes

Yeah, I can see that. I’m surprised, though, smashing the spiders is a default. They’re usually harmless to humans and can trap flying pests, you know, little pantry moths and the like.

And they’re delicious! Fried in a little butter with some garlic! Mmmm mmm mmm!

(No, I get it: I’m not exactly weeping for the spiders of the world, I just think they’re cool! Go forth and destroy with extreme prejudice! Murderers! :grin:)

Moths and houseflies, though: they must be destroyed! Village after village, cow after cow, pig after pig! And mice as well. Do not want!

3 Likes