SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1307, Gamera Vs. Jiger

Fun episode, good job everyone!
Tiny technical point: assuming they were provided the source file in its original 2.35:1, cropping this film down to 16:9 resulted in chopping people off the sides at times. I think it would be aesthetically okay to leave widescreen films in their original ratio, in letterboxed form. The image could be moved down so that the shadowrama works, with some sort of “theater curtain” treatment along the top.

Alternatively, a few of the adversely affected shots could have been pan/scanned in the editing.

2 Likes

I think you overestimate how much people noticed any issues with the cropping vs how many people would notice a big black bar across the screen on a show which has always been full screen. Or theater curtain or whatever.

5 Likes

Jiger is a bizarre monster. I just finished watching the movie and I gotta say that Jiger’s powers are very strange. A needle in Gamera’s arm leads to a baby Jiger being formed in his lung? And I really didn’t follow the whole sound thing. Was it the sound itself or was it the frequency or what?

Regardless, it was a pretty good episode. It was no Dr. Mordrid, but it was pretty good. I agree that MST3K and Gamera are a classic combination, but it did seem like they had a hard time filling all the interminable fight scenes.

9 Likes

It was the sound. The statue was a giant whistle which made the sound when the wind blew and that’s what kept Jiger asleep on the island.

8 Likes

Another thing to note about all this…and this may just be coincidence:
It’s always Pearl (and Synthia) that’s doing things like introducing shorts and the Madvertisements. Kinga is never around for those.

Also if you want to look at real world…hate to say it like this, but maybe this is their way of writing off Kinga and Max? I mean, I like them, and they are fans of the show…but they also are a bit higher tier than most performers on the show (I mean, they were on My Little Pony for crying out loud! XD). Just something to think about.

7 Likes

GAMERA SUSAN IS A F R IEND OF ALL CHILDREN!

5 Likes

But is she more or less evil than first movie Kenny?

4 Likes

More. She has resting demon face.

3 Likes

I gotta say I wasn’t expecting VPR, Kink shaming and and Irreversible riffs all in one episode. I was either laughing until I made myself sick or rewinding to make sure I heard something correctly, then laughing until I made myself sick. I don’t know who the Bravo watcher is but clearly there is one from the Rinna stuff previously. Seriously, Bravo, bravo, fn Bravo for that. You know who you are.

I also have the distinction of having watched all of VPR, The Wire, and the Leftovers. I’d like to see that Venn Diagram. It’s probably just me.

11 Likes

I just watched it again and I gotta say I love the line “He likes pleasure with his pain, never kink shame Gamera!”

10 Likes

It is probably a fairly routine occurrence for her.

3 Likes

But what if there’s a long period with no wind?

4 Likes

Shhh! We don’t talk about that.

3 Likes

You’re asking rational questions regarding a movie about a giant turtle who flies with jets coming out of his arm and leg holes.

13 Likes

Yes… and? You’re saying that there’s something wrong with that? :smiley:

6 Likes

No, just that it’s too late to be expecting things to make sense now.

5 Likes

At one point in last night’s film, Gamera is flying with just his leg jets. Then he pulled in his arm jets and started spinning. My brain immediately said “Wait, wouldn’t that just make him fly in a big circle?” After pondering that for a second, I remembered some advice I had heard about being just a show and relaxing.

13 Likes

I was thinking the same thing before realizing the same thing. So you’re not alone.

6 Likes

So, if you recall, somewhere in the Kickstarter there was a reference to this season having “baby Mads”.

I’m a bit afraid that Kinga and Pearl might end the season with baby versions of Frank and Dr. Forrester having plucked them from time…

Me personally, I don’t think I’d like to see those characters back unless all parties (Trace, Frank and Joel) could resolve their differences and feel comfortable with a proper return.

That’s just me though.

10 Likes

Speaking of H*R, I’m still giddy that they used Homsar’s “Don’t fake the funk on a nasty dunk”!

9 Likes