SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1313, The Christmas Dragon. (PLEASE NOTE: This thread is NOT the Open Thread Discussion for tonight’s livestream)

Previous spoiler discussion threads:

Santo in the Treasure of Dracula
Robot Wars
Beyond Atlantis
Munchie
Doctor Mordrid
Demon Squad
Gamera vs Jiger
The Batwoman
The Million Eyes of Sumuru
The Shape of Things to Come
The Mask 3D
The Bubble

PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD IS -NOT- TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE OPEN THREAD FOR TONIGHT’S LIVESTREAM PREMIERE OF THIS EPISODE.

THIS SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD IS INTENDED FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY SEEN THIS EPISODE -BEFORE- TONIGHT’S LIVESTREAM PREMIERE AND WISH TO DISCUSS WHAT THEY’VE SEEN RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE.

IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE EPISODE, TURN BACK NOW!

Here is your discussion thread for spoiler-filled thoughts, discussions, and observations on The Christmas Dragon!

This is your destination for discussing anything and everything about MST3K episode 1313: the host segments, the theater segments, the memorable quotes, the hilarious riffs, the feature presentation, all of it!

Remember: this is a spoiler discussion thread of the season finale, so all points of discussion will not be spoiler-blurred. One more time: if you haven’t seen the episode, you’ll want to turn back now!

Even though this film isn’t about the Arbor Day Dragon, let’s go!

9 Likes

I’m working tonight and won’t be able to watch the stream, so I went straight to work on my review as soon as the episode went up. Just posted it, but spoilers are within, so tread with caution.

2 Likes

Friar Nolte!

3 Likes

Eek! Nilbog attack!

2 Likes

The Christmas dragon isn’t this the one where the Earth freezes and that old bat wants a sampo?

1 Like

I was most excited about the two specifically Philadelphia references in this one.

4 Likes

It was so great seeing Joel, Jonah and Emily riffing together!! " Oh man guys look they sleighed the dragon! Oh come on Emily!" :grin:

9 Likes

Wow. Now that’s what I call a cliffhanger. If Pearl ever does something STUPID to the timeline, this means elements from the Netflix seasons onward (the Boneheads, Pearl’s 2 clones, the Kingadome, smol GPC, and even Growler and Waverly) will be erased.

5 Likes

This was such a fun episode, but my favorite exchange was definitely this:

Emily: “Quick! Let’s sing the theme song!”
Jonah: “Which one? There’s, like, twelve!”
Joel: “I can only ever remember the words to Mike’s.”
Emily: “THEN LET’S DO IT!!!”

Nice loving tribute to Mike. I really hope we get a downloadable track of them singing Mike’s theme song.

15 Likes

I know this is a SUPER nitpick, but I really, really wish that when they left the theater at the end, they gave the movie just another moment or two so we actually got to see the title , “The Christmas Dragon” onscreen.

I know, I know, it’s a stupid thing, but the heart wants what the heart wants, haha.

7 Likes

Eh, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. This show runs on Rule of Funny.

I was glad to see the redemption of Growler and Waverly. Could a trip back to the SOL be in the cards?

7 Likes

I caught the Longwood Gardens one, I must have missed the other.

2 Likes

For a movie called The Christmas Dragon, there wasn’t a whole lot of dragon, though that’s probably a budget thing.

5 Likes

There WAS significantly more dragon here than in The Sword and the Dragon.

Unless there wasn’t.

Then forget I said anything.

3 Likes

I think if memory serves there was a mention of Mummers. Maybe it was small m Mummers though

3 Likes

Yup! That’d be in The Loves of Hercules!

3 Likes

Moral of the stinger: Never find a dragon’s egg.

5 Likes

Not Philly-specific but there is a Dorney Park joke in there, too.

5 Likes

There are episodes this season where I laughed more during the theater bits. But the overall energy of the piece, the event-like quality makes it extra special. And the livestream with audience laughter pushed it up a notch.

The 3 hosts segment was my favorite part of the riffing, and Patton as Friar Nolte earns a -chefs kiss-

7 Likes

That is what I was thinking of. I mean, sure it’s not 5 county area, but if I can get WFMZ on my cable, I count it as Philly.

Plus when I was a paper boy for the Courier Times, that’s where they took us in lieu of actually making sure we got paid.

3 Likes