SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1307, Gamera Vs. Jiger

It TOTALLY got my ghost Bob!

4 Likes

I loved this episode and for me there were a couple of howlers. The one that comes to mind immediately is “I will kill again!!!” LOL!!!

2 Likes

I think if they could have edited anything out, it would have been that scene.

9 Likes

That was gross, but on the positive, it gave us the line “And that’s lunch!” :laughing:

6 Likes

Definite winner episode, though I did cheat by being so tired that I had to watch this episode in three separate chunks. That’s probably why it didn’t seem so long to me.

First big laugh might have been Servo’s “Cut. … Cut! … Cut!!” of that super long establishment shot of a parking lot.

“True goodness” riffs: those continuing additional verses during Gamera’s unending trudge to its lakeside “death”.

Most fulfilling, recurring riffs: Little Susie (or whatever) as the sadistic and demonic personality. Because it fit so well. It’s easy to imagine that the actress took the meanness summoned for her line, “I hate you, Gamera!”, and let it both consume her and motivate her character throughout the rest of the film, both in facial expressions and (English-dubbed) speech.

I’m not sure that I like Crow’s new voice in this episode, though. :wink:

7 Likes

I wonder if I would have enjoyed this more or less if it was an Emily episode instead of a Jonah episode?

I dunno, I really like Jonah’s monster movies. Now that we have multiple hosts I’m really liking the patterns they seem to be following for who does what episode. Emily’s style of humor has really fit well for the wacky, colorful kind of fantasy movies she’s done (I think if there were any switches they could’ve made this season, Emily would’ve been a great host for Santo or Munchie), and even though I do think she could easily do any movie Jonah’s done, I really like Jonah for monster and disaster flicks. But that’s just a personal preference for me lol

9 Likes

I really liked this one. The riffs were solid throughout and kept me engaged. I expected to enjoy this episode less than others after hearing the movie would be unedited, but it was goofy enough to be enjoyable even if the pacing lagged at times. Favorite riff: “Your move, Charles Darwin.” Favorite WTF moment: after the movie explained that the statue produces a sound to keep Jiger at bay, I assumed Gamera would use it to subdue her. But no, instead he rammed it through Jiger’s skull. I guess that works too.

12 Likes

Strange minds riff alike! The guys from Gamera VS MST3k Round II posted a little montage of all the similar riffs they and Jonah’s crew made during their respective Jiger riffs lol

1 Like

Not quite done with the whole episode yet (limited TV time and other stuff in the queue with my wife getting equal say) but so far:

1. favorite deep cut riff: “buy my book! buy my book!” Love a The Critic reference
  2. least favorite riff: repeated pagoda jokes about freakin’ national architectural treasure Osaka Castle

Also laughed a lot at the Susan’s wandering accent host segment. Followed, ironically, by a Dr Donna St. Phibes host segment featuring its own wandering accent.

13 Likes

Which really hurts those segments for me.

2 Likes

I LIKED it…! It hit the right tone, had plenty of Cornjob references, and was a worthy addition to the Gamera lineup. 7.5 out of 10. Buy my book!

10 Likes

As the guy who got the “Buy my book” line in the show, I’m honestly surprised by the reaction online. I can’t believe the number of people I’ve seen work up the energy to type on the Internet how much they like one specific riff.

14 Likes

The Critic was a pretty beloved show and that was a high point.

11 Likes

It was hilarious! The Critic was almost as formative for me as MST3K.

I mean, both share the catchphrase “It Stinks!”

15 Likes

All this talk about The Critic inspired me to order the complete series on DVD. I need more references to The Critic in my life.

7 Likes

O84HvSe

14 Likes

13 Likes

And Jay Sherman’s job is to make fun of bad movies!

10 Likes

I admit, ever time I see Patton Oswalt I wonder how much longer he’ll be around. It’s not just that he’s a huge star, it’s that he’s in EVERYTHING these days. On IMDB he’s got credits for 15 different show just this year. I don’t know how he finds the time! Still I’m glad he’s been our TV’s Son of TV’s Frank.

10 Likes