SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1307, Gamera Vs. Jiger

To be fair, if you’re anywhere near the ocean, there’s basically nothing more constant than the wind. :ocean: :wind_face: :leaves: :moyai:

3 Likes

Establishing shot of electric power plant.

“Hey you guuuuuuuys!”

Priceless.

13 Likes

And a mean girls reference! Yusss

1 Like

(I will find some other way to cheat you.)

2 Likes

Not sure if it was already said …but…. The only way that the rights holders would allow MST crew to do it was by not editing down the movie. So I’ll take the slow pacing, repetitive plot points, boarding fights, because it’s a new MST3K Gamera movie ya’ll!!! Like this made my month, I’m gonna re watch it till the tape fades out. It’s a grind but it’s a good grind. And i likes it.
“We Like it very much!”

5 Likes

So…
I’m surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Maybe I missed it.
But it seems beyond obvious that Jiger was screened back in the day. This skit about Gamera’s insides from Zigra feels like it was written for Jiger, but they didn’t do that one for whatever reason, and the skit landed in the Zigra episode.
Crazy, gives it a whole new meaning now.

13 Likes

Jiger was not a part of the Sandy Frank package, and considering all the films used during KTMA and Season 3 were imported by Sandy Frank, they were not obtaining it through him because he only had the five films.

Jiger was imported to the US as a part of a deal made between Daiei and AIP to release the films directly to television, which the film was given the dub seen on the show under the title of Gamera vs. Monster X. It was the last Gamera film AIP released, as Daiei went bankrupt during the the production of Zigra, which was eventually released under a different company. Since AIP didn’t have a deal with them, Zigra didn’t get imported to the US until Sandy Frank got ahold of it. Jiger never saw release in the US outside of the AIP version until Shout Factory imported the original Japanese version.

The only other Gamera film AIP released that Sandy Frank didn’t was Gamera vs. Viras, which was released under the title Destroy All Planets.

11 Likes

Which is my personal favorite, it’s like the best parts of Guiron and Zigra rolled into one goofy goofy flick! (even though it came before Guiron, hence the flashbacks from the kids contain scenes from Viras).

2 Likes

They probably thought this Gamera was too slow and boring.

2 Likes

That’s how we are :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was wondering which Homsar line people were talking about, and as soon as it was referenced, I recalled wondering at that very moment “Is this a H*R ref or was a writer just a big basketball fan?”

Anyway, count me in both camps. This episode absolutely dragged with the extra minutes of kaiju battling, and you could feel every wormy extra minute. It also might be the best episode of the season so far… it felt like the writing crew really went at it to make this hilarious, and i caught myself in more uncontrolled snorts than i can recall recently. There’s a lot of competition (I’ve adored all the odd numbered eps, which is not to say the evens havent been great too), but it measured up for me.

2 Likes

BORING ALERT:

Ok, so I think I have an ear for specific voices.
The Lang & Bridges version of King Kong from 70s and Gamera vs Jiger seem to both have at least one bit actor.
The ambassador bloke who gets angry at the whistling idol I believe is the same guy as the “witch doctor” leader guy who spots the dummy looking at the Kong ceremony/celebration through binoculars, and then barters for a trade of a number of women in trade for Dwan.
I say this only based on his voice. A longshot (that might kick de bucket), but I think I might be right.
But it doesn’t really matter…

3 Likes

I was thinking about that during this movie. Was hoping we’d get a riff about it. Ah well.

As noted, they got a package of the five Gamera films that Sandy Frank had dubbed. I could have sworn there were only four Gamera episodes. They all blend together. But there was Gamera, Gamera vs. Gaos, Gamera vs. Barugon, Gamera vs. Zigra, and Gamera vs. Guiron. Jiger is the sixth, and the first non-Sandy Frank. (Not counting Rifftrax doing the Gammera the Invincible dub of the first movie. The one with the surf music theme song.)

Ah. I’d always wondered which movie that was from, but never got around to looking it up. Thanks!

Yep, Viras is the one with the spaceship made out of bumblebee butts and a squid monster Gamera rides as a jetski.

Gamera: Super Monster has zero budget yet tries to have alien kung fu ladies anyway, while throwing in stock footage of every previous Gamera monster fight. Basically a Gamera clipshow.

Then there are the 90’s movies, which were all moody fantasy movies targeted at older audiences. Despite being “dark n gritty,” they gave Gamera airplane wings for some reason.

Then there was Gamera the Brave, which is like an Amblin-style kids movie about a boy who raises a turtle to be a kaiju who fights another kaiju that eats people.

6 Likes

Gamera is whoever we want him to be- monster or friend to children!

4 Likes

Or soup! :smiley:

4 Likes

It might be a bit of a cliché, but I choose “Gamera was in our hearts all along.”

5 Likes

Or possibly our stomachs. We’re all eating Gamera.

6 Likes

It might just be that I’m in a bad mood but I still haven’t been able to finish this episode. Some of the riffs got a chuckle out of me but I just got so bored I started playing around on my tablet during the intermission and wound up turning the episode off. I’ve tried to start watching it again but I just can’t seem to work up the enthusiasm and wind up turning it back off.

I’ll try watching it again when/if I ever feel better but as of now this has been the first new episode I just really didn’t like.

1 Like

Insert joke about Findus lasagne here.

3 Likes