SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1310, The Shape of Things to Come. (PLEASE NOTE: This thread is NOT the Open Thread Discussion for tonight's livestream premiere)

:smiley:

Okay, THAT’S awesome!

1 Like

Same with Plummer in Starcrash.

And to think we used to say only love pads the film.

5 Likes

There were more scenes with it in the Rifftrax cut. It did mean he had nothing to lose in facing Omus. He’d already committed. I think it was also supposed to make him a tragic hero. And show how determined he was in his course of action, that he was willing to not only defy the government and Lomax in launching the ship but fatally poison himself doing it. Everyone else was going to just give up, but he had his vision of the ship and its future, and the need to stop Omus and save humanity at any cost.

3 Likes

My friends (and Zoidberg), we have been thoroughly Palanced!

Man, this movie is like an episode of Buck Rogers without the main characters, with a script that’s being written minutes before each scene is shot, and then stretched over two episodes with a pointless middle section about some kids on another planet and some space shenanigans. But that makes it great riffing fuel!

It’s no surprise at this point that the host segments are great. The robot taste test bit is classic bots-hazing-the-human, and the invention exchange made me realise that my house is full of lousy, lazy coasters. Emily and the bots glammed it up for the surprisngly dark Sparky roast, with drunk GPC being a particular standout. I loved the discussion about, uh, love, especially Servo’s idea that it’s a disease spread by microscopic babies. Then we got a pretentious conspiracy theory podcast with all the ridiculousness that suggests, although they’re actually right about it all going back to Santa. I know because I saw it on the internet. And we finish strong with Palance!Crow’s dramatic… pause!

Some favorite riffs this time:
“Meanwhile at Netfix”, “I want breakfast for dinner”, “No human has ever lived here that long”, and the return of “Jim Henson’s Sniper Babies”.

7 Likes

The kids are on Earth, which tells our heroes that there are survivors there who need help, lending more urgency to the mission while also giving our heroes a bit of angst over having to leave the kids behind. It also sets up the ending of the movie, which got cut from the MST version.

It is weird, though, that the kids somehow took Niki far enough that Jason needed a Jeep to follow her, and that she had enough time to get to know them before he arrived. And yet she never told them to just stop and at least let her talk to Jason first.

But yes. The “Meanwhile at Netflix” riff was perfect. I loved it because it’s so accurate. And then half a second later I remembered that MST3K was one of the shows that got that treatment, and the riff got better.

8 Likes

My vote is for “Meanwhile, at Netflix…” as somebody pushes a red cancel button.

Not just a reference to subscriber numbers dropping–although that’s a different forums thread–but maybe a not-fully-veiled shot at MST3K’s former business partner. Doing so much with just three words.

9 Likes

Fun fact: at the end of the film, a large chunk of the set that wasn’t supposed to fall down fell directly on top of Jack Palance’s head. It gave him a minor concussion. Naturally, the director used that take in the film.

9 Likes

@RocketJForklift , thanks much. I can always count on you for providing coherence when the movie does its best to obscure it.

Other riffs I collected:
Kelsey’s “I’m a potato” sequence.
Mork Auditions.
Time - to - make - the - robots.
I had to Truffle Shuffle just to survive.
Your mimosa will have a bottom!
This murder goes to 11.

8 Likes

I was a bit surprised that there weren’t any riffs about Anne-Marie Martin’s career. No jokes about Sledge Hammer (although Rifftrax did one in theirs, so maybe avoiding repetition?), nothing about Twister, nothing about her ex-husband’s sci-fi stories being better (or worse) than this stuff.

3 Likes

This got LOLOLOLs under this roof, from Gen X to Z.

8 Likes

This one’s got legs. I don’t tend bar anymore, but I’ll find a way to use it.

5 Likes

They might have needed a third day to get the footage for that spinning Palance hologram (Palance-O-Gram?) bit.

6 Likes

Like I said in the other thread, it would be amusing if Rotat-o-Palance was spinning of his volition.

5 Likes

My review is up:

3 Likes

I remember thinking that the costume design for the spacewear in this movie looked rather interesting to me. It’s definitely something I’d nick for costume designs, though it’s second to the “feedback suits” from the Gunnerkrigg Court chapter that was a spoof of exactly this sort of movie. (Note the monsters having tied up several secondary characters despite being as armless as Homestar Runner.)

5 Likes

It’s not spoiling the movie, it’s spoiling the riffs. Like when you read the[quote=“FlyingSquid, post:29, topic:26222, full:true”]
I just realized that this thread title doesn’t work because you can’t spoil a movie THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!
[/quote]

live stream but are watching on a Roku.

1 Like

Todd Nauck, who drew MST3K: The Comic posted about writing on this episode.

14 Likes

I’m with you on this one. Just okay, and I was expecting great things. I’ll beg to differ re: Emily’s crew though, I think they’ve had two great to very solid entries so far, Atlantis and Mordrid (which levels up heavily after the opening IMO).

I did like the love sketch, the podcast and the ending with Crowmus, but the roast went on too long for me.

2 Likes

I hope there’s a fan cut out there with dubstep added. I mean, I still have no idea what that is, or was. But it sounds cool.

I’m slightly weirded out that our own Doctor Kabahl didn’t appear for this episode. Or maybe it was really brief and happened when I was getting more snacks…? :thinking:

3 Likes

Dubstep has already been weaponised.

1 Like