SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1310, The Shape of Things to Come. (PLEASE NOTE: This thread is NOT the Open Thread Discussion for tonight's livestream premiere)

Previous spoiler discussion threads:

Santo in the Treasure of Dracula
Robot Wars
Beyond Atlantis
Munchie
Doctor Mordrid
Demon Squad
Gamera vs Jiger
The Batwoman
The Million Eyes of Sumuru

PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD IS -NOT- TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE OPEN THREAD FOR TONIGHT’S LIVESTREAM PREMIERE OF THIS EPISODE.

THIS SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD IS INTENDED FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY SEEN THIS EPISODE -BEFORE- TONIGHT’S LIVESTREAM PREMIERE AND WISH TO DISCUSS WHAT THEY’VE SEEN RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE.

Here is your discussion thread for spoiler-filled thoughts, discussions, and observations on H.G. Wells’ The Shape of Things to Come!

This is your destination for discussing anything and everything about MST3K episode 1310: the host segments, the theater segments, the memorable quotes, the hilarious riffs, the feature presentation, all of it!

Remember: this is a spoiler discussion thread, so all points of discussion will not be spoiler-blurred. If you haven’t seen the episode, you’ll want to turn back now!

Regardless of how much Jack Palance embarrasses himself in this one, let’s go!

4 Likes

I’d forgotten that Dori Doreau from Sledge Hammer! was in this.

3 Likes

I gave it a watch last night but wasn’t able to focus on it as much as I wanted (not the shows fault, just my stuff and nonsense) but I did get a big laugh out of Emily’s Netflix riff, that was clever.

As with the Rifftrax release, I was disappointed they didn’t do anything specific to Carol Lynley, but maybe that’s Frank Conniff’s area of expertise, and maybe if the Mads tackle it I’ll get a riff reference to her and her movies (like myself, they’re film buffs in their 60s). But yeah, along with that, nothing on Dori Doreau (Anna-Marie Martin), or Gunslinger’s John Ireland, or going back further, Space 1999s Barry Morris (riffed on in KTMA). But again, that’s kind of Frank’s thing.

Hope to give this another try soon, when I can give it my full attention.

3 Likes

I’m wondering who decided to edit out the FUNNIEST shot in the whole movie?

Afraid we’d laugh too much?

8 Likes

While the sight of Jack Palance getting badoinked on the melon by a polystyrene beam he wasn’t expecting exists, any other shot can only be the second funniest.

9 Likes

And Emilly is back!! I watched the rifftrax version today it was so funny looking forward to the MST version!

4 Likes

I’m about halfway through and the riffing is on fire in this one. One of the best episodes of the season, easily.

4 Likes

I think they’ve done much better with pop-culture references in the reboot than they did in the original run after Frank left, but yeah, some things left on the table here. Overall, though, I was highly pleased with the riffing in this one.

It’s been my experience that Rifftrax only rarely refers to the actors or to anything that isn’t directly happening in the movie.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen it yet, but oh my god…

It’s like Doctor Who except without a budget, and DOCTOR WHO DIDN’T HAVE ANY MONEY!

10 Likes

Did they use the Battlestar Galactica ship footage library for this?

Also, having read part of the novel this oddity gets its title from, I can safely say it’s nothing like that.

5 Likes

Do we know who the guests will be for tonight’s livestream aftershow?

3 Likes

I’m guessing Team Emily will be on hand for the party, as the ticket info for the show over at the Gizmoplex site says:

Join us for the LIVESTREAM PREMIERE of Episode 1310: H. G. Wells’ THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME! Then, stick around for a live post-show discussion with the cast.

4 Likes

Okay, this can’t be a scene from this movie. This can’t be a scene from any movie. This is some sort of joke photoshoot where they are making fun of sci-fi movies. Right? RIGHT?!

Imgur

8 Likes

After I saw the first 15 seconds or so of the cold opening, I’m so relieved that Waverly and Growler didn’t turn full-on evil from those Bonehead helmets. But then again…
Oh boy.

5 Likes

Hey Dori Doreau sledgehammer’s partner is in this film.

5 Likes

Not another Dr. Caball…

1 Like

Emily and Crew knocked this one out of the park. Great riffs, classic vibes, Palance. Worth every penny.

11 Likes

I have arrived at the sneakiest suspicion that somebody involved with the production or pre-production of this fine movie did not…

…know a lot about space. :flushed:

7 Likes

Definitely that. Another jewel in the ornate crown that is Season 13.

Also also, welcome to the forums, glad to have you here! :smiley:

7 Likes

My only quibble with this episode was that the Dr Cabahl’s mind game with The Mads / Jonah, Emily & Joel rhyme time escape plan plots didn’t get touched.

I’m sure everything will come together in the few episodes that are left in Season 13 but it’s been fun to guess where the story is going as more hints are dropped.

3 Likes