SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1310, The Shape of Things to Come. (PLEASE NOTE: This thread is NOT the Open Thread Discussion for tonight's livestream premiere)

I’m rewatching this episode, and I spotted an amusing (but somewhat scary) goof/continuity error:

At 01:22:00, Jason tackles Omus, shattering his helmet. You can see the pieces fly left and right. Then, cut to Jason putting on the same helmet, now intact.

The shattering was apparently unintentional and probably pretty dangerous for both stunt performers. Good thing they had a spare helmet or, more likely, shot the stunt sequence last.

3 Likes

So…Things to Come.

Heh, Moon pattern baldness.

Yet another film that I had already seen. That’s one of the things making this season fun to watch. But let’s face it. This is based on H G Wells in name only. I mean, where is the air force? And when do they establish an all English speaking “benevolent” dictatorship? :roll_eyes:

In some ways, I like this better than the original film. There is at least a plot, and the character don’t all talk in grandiose expositions of their intent. With the glorious exception of the always lovely Jack Palance.

But in almost every other way, this sucks. Which is a shame with all the talent on screen. In addition to Jack, we got Morse from Space 1999 and Mrs Martin from Sledgehammer. Though I admit the deposed governor kinda annoyed me with her default expression of “What am I doing here?”

But let’s face it, all the heroes are kinda like that. I am sort of rooting for Mr Palance and his robots. At least they fight for something. Nobody has any concept of self-defence or justice. It is another situation where you only need someone to bop Jack on the head, and a lot of trouble goes away. The story is about an interplanetary terrorist who threatens an entire civilization for personal gain. And the response is to steal a super advanced warship to go ask him to please reconsider. Rather slow-paced, languid and……oh god, CHILDREN!

Also, I fail to see why having the robot teleport adds to the film. Except they can’t make it move or climb onto Jeeps.

But on rewatch, the riffing here was great. Lots of opportunities for robot jokes and GPC joining in on the fun makes it fantastic. And the “Feeding Daft Punk after midnight” riff killed me. (Ya know, looking at these robots, I can see it) The whole bunch were on fire. I think it helps that the film is just bad enough for the humor to improve the movie as opposed to just making fun of flaws.

So a fun outing indeed. I had quite a few laughs. What is it with MST3K and Canadian films? Talk about fertile ground.

Set course for up.
:rocket:

5 Likes