That Twilighty Show About That Zone

Is that the episode where he makes it off the boat, only to be picked up by the Andrea Doria?

3 Likes

It’s been a long time since I watched TZ, but I still remember a few (although I don’t remember the titles). SciFi Channel used to play 48 hours of TZ on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

There is the classic “There’s a man on the wing of the plane!” I loved that one. One thing about it was that there was more than one story being told. It wasn’t just about that weird guy on the plane wing, trying to destroy it. The characters had a more development in a 30-minute episode than some characters get in a 2-hour movie. :slight_smile:

The other I remember particularly was the one with the two guys making a bet that one of them couldn’t go for a year without speaking. At the end of the year, the guy does it and the other guy reveals that he has no money to pay him for his winning bet and then the winner in turn reveals that he had undergone surgery to remove his vocal cords because he had known he couldn’t do it and he needed the money.

4 Likes

That one is a slow burn, but the ending is worth it.

4 Likes

…that is uncomfortably cold.

2 Likes

Exactly. It was memorable because I couldn’t figure out what the Zone-iness would be. It seemed strange that there was all this tension about this guy just not speaking for a year.

3 Likes

See, I’m the kind of person who would wonder what kind of doctor would agree to do that, and how the guy who needed money that badly paid for the surgery.

I also wonder how Brisco got that skunk in the bag and how Pam Bouvier carried that big ol’ gun into the cafe.

4 Likes

IIRC he didn’t need money badly, he was just a compulsive gambler.

2 Likes

Parodies? From the short lived, “The New Show” (John Candy was such a treasure)

5 Likes

The TV show Weird Science (based on the movie but it found its own voice) had an episode where the characters get stuck inside the Twilight Zone and have to make it through multiple episodes.

1 Like

My third-favorite series behind MST3K and Breaking Bad. Looooooooooooooove me some Twilight Zone.

My favorite episode? “The Night of the Meek.” Art Carney was on a whole other level there. It’s a Christmas episode, but there’s something special about it that transcends the rest of the episodes for me.

But I will say that “Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?” is an absolute joy to watch, and the transformation sequence in “The Howling Man” never fails to give me chills.

3 Likes

…was To Tell the Truth around at that time?

3 Likes

That was the inspiration for the title.

4 Likes

I know, I watched a lot of game shows as a kid.

2 Likes

From Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up: The sight that blew my older brother’s mind…

3 Likes

…well if that isn’t the most awkward third eye I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Also, I just looked it up and Jack Elam is in that episode!

3 Likes

He died in the hospital where I work.

3 Likes

Fun bit of trivia- one time and one time only did Serling become part of the story. In the episode A World of His Own. An author finds he can make his stories reality by dictating things into a tape recorder and getting rid of his “characters” by throwing the tape into the fire. At the end of the episode, Serling appears to narrate and the author gets frustrated with him, throws a tape into the fire and Serling disappears.

3 Likes

Rod: “Stupid lack of fourth wall.”

2 Likes

I was watching a Night Gallery (speaking of Serling) the other day with special guest star Carl Reiner, called “Professor Peabody’s Last Lecture” (S2 E8d) that was very explicitly Lovecraftian, but in a goofy spoof way. Written by producer Jack Laird, so Serling probably hated it, come to think of it.

My brain just saw Lovecraft in a Serling context and got excited to mention Night Gallery.

4 Likes