The Coleman Francis Memorial Coffee Thread

That’s a good idea, maybe I’ll make a single press of double strength and then add more water. Cheers!

I am sad because the milk which is dated May 26 is somehow bad, meaning I can’t have coffee or tea because I refuse to have either black. Ick.

We checked out a new N’Awlins-style restaurant yesterday. (Masked up and distanced. They are very responsible.) The food was good but the coffee was truly the stuff of dreams. The best I’ve had at a restaurant in eons. The servers were very busy with to-go orders, or I would’ve asked if this was due to chicory in the mix. I know that’s a traditional thing in some parts of the South.

1 Like

Chicory in coffee is quite common in New Orleans styled restaurants, so very likely in your case. I’m a fan of it myself. The chicory plant grows very well here, too, even in the city, and has attractive blooms.

1 Like

This is why I always have a pint of good-quality vanilla ice cream in the freezer. For backup.

2 Likes

I buy the unbleached variety of filters. Then they can be tossed in the compost bin right along with the grounds. The other thing I like about the pot is how easy it is to keep clean. Since it doesn’t sit on a heating element as other types of drips and pour-overs do. Maybe every 2-3 months there’s a little brown buildup on the bottom. But a quick soak 'n slosh with weak ammonia solution and then a go-over with the bottle brush takes care of that in just a few minutes.

1 Like

Yes, I’d go that route if I were composting. Might get back into that once I’ve got a proper house again instead of a condo.

1 Like

Proud to say that in 22 years of having the bin, I’ve never been the worm-face.

I know they’re silently judging me for only turning the pile when the bucket of new fodder is full, though. Rather than being diligent and turning it every week or two.

Unlike most of you that hire Peruvian children to grind coffee beans with their bare feet. I typically purchase whatever is on sale and strong enough to wake my stupid ass up.

2 Likes

There are roughly 40 coffee cups in my place, and this is the one I use pretty much every weekday morning because it’s the biggest one (that I can finish drinking before work, that is; I’ve got a couple that are basically a bathtub with a handle).

6 Likes

That’s a lot of joe!

I drink 12 oz every day. No more, no less. I have a Bunn MyCafe which makes a single cup. Perfect for me. Any more coffee and it sets off my anxiety.

I used to be a six cup a day man, french press and everything then about 12 years ago anxiety kicked in and I had to go on medication and that was the end of me enjoying vast quantities of coffee.

I’m a lot better now but it does creep up once in a while and coffee is something I have to be careful of

2 Likes

Drip coffee when I brew at home. Cold brew when I’m out and about.

Big fan of Bump N’Grind, a local coffee roaster that has a shop inside one of the libraries near me.

1 Like

I get green coffee beans from a company called https://ravecoffee.co.uk, who also sell roasted beans. They have a decent variety, although I mostly buy their Ethiopian Sidamo.
My coffee roaster does about 250g of beans at a time, which lasts me about a week, so what I’m drinking is always freshly-roasted.

2 Likes

“I like coffee!”

Just wanted to make sure that was perfectly clear.

1 Like

My wife makes homemade ice cream. She’s learned the best coffee to use in making coffee ice cream is actually instant.

The more you know…

1 Like

65 years ago, Jim Henson made a lotta funny Wilkins Coffee commercials. Each commercials always starred Wilkins persuading Wontkins to try some coffee, only for the latter to decline. So can you guess what Wilkins did? He ends up TORTURING HIM (in almost every commercials available on YouTube). But in today’s world, now that Wilkins has been discontinued, the commercials themselves turned into a meme, and it did teach us one thing: “Try our coffee, or DIE.”

Oh, and fun fact: Jim Henson never liked coffee.

3 Likes

And here’s my not-so-good coffee story from another thread.

1 Like

2 Likes

I still own a 1940s Cory vacuum coffee pot. I haven’t used it in years though.

2 Likes

They never look like they could actually free-stand. But I suppose they do.

2 Likes