The Meaning Behind Your Screenname

Even cooler that I legally changed it to Dolphin years ago :grin:

14 Likes

Having a 3-character, numberless, actual-word username in most forums is rare, and therefore pretty niiiice.

But also, I wasn’t quick enough to get Rowsdower.

18 Likes

I thought about the rarity of 3-letter usernames when I signed up. Mine isn’t a word, but I’ve rarely been able to have it as a login anywhere.

7 Likes

I’d love to tell you that my real name is Bob Johnson and I’m just trying to remain anonymous, but …

13 Likes

Crow’s my fave, but of course CrowTRobot’s taken.

I figured that if Crow could be a unit of Robot, it’s probably fair that Tom’s also a unit of Servo.

10 Likes

Ah, I thought you might be referencing this guy.

tth

7 Likes

Suddenly drawing a blank … in which episode does TV’s Frank sing a bit of Tom T’s “I Love” at the end?

7 Likes

That was supposed to be a reply directly to @SandyFrank, but I keep hitting the wrong reply button around here.

7 Likes

“MyWy” is not that boring, because it gives others the opportunity to imagine what your first and last names are. I’m currently imagining “Myrna” and “Wyvern.” It’s giving me the most joy I’ve gotten today.

9 Likes

I’ve been using the “idiotcontrolnow” username for various accounts since the early days of the 21st century. It was my AOL Instant Messenger (AIM, for you cool kids) username, and my never-used Twitter @. I started noticing over the past few years that other people were using it, so when a new MST3K forum was unveiled, I very quickly signed up, lest I surrender the “idiotcontrolnow” moniker to another.

It’s nice to be using it somewhere that I don’t have to explain its origins.

15 Likes

Last name…

10 Likes

My first internet handle was actually very personal. But my second, this “Lady Starblade,” came about because I wanted a “disposable” handle to use in Yahoo! chat rooms (I’m old, shut it) and I didn’t want a string of numbers after the name. So I just started sticking words I liked together until I got one that was unused, hence no numbers.

Through wild convergences and other events, this somehow disposable handle has been my main ‘Net persona for well over 15 years. If you’ve seen a Lady Starblade on the World Wide Web…98.94% chance it’s me. :woman_shrugging:

14 Likes

Mycelium Wyliecoat. Clothing of the future!

10 Likes

I thought it was just My Way. As in My Way or the Highway.

9 Likes

Mycroft Wyandotte? I went to school with a Mycroft Wyandotte! How have you been, you old son of a biscuit? Trick knee still playin’ ya up?

9 Likes

I’ve used variations of Captain Exposition on lots of fora or services before, though often just “Exposition” when I’m gaming. (Though lately I’ve been Tom Servo in Splatoon 2.)

Why? Eh, it’s a teacherly joke given that I teach Humanities and usually can provide background for lots of stuff.

11 Likes

I took mine from the Hamlet episode, I just thought it would make a good username :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Ha. Myron, actually. Cute story about that, too. I worked for Arthur Andersen in Japan for a while, and they kept delivering mail to me addressed to mailroom. It took me about a month to figure it out, but in Japanese, that word and Myron (mairon) were basically the same. L and R convergence, double letters only lengthen the sound, N and M similarities. Thank you. So I went by Mailroom for a short time. Hello. Thank you.

11 Likes

Language is a funny old thing. My circle of friends had a thing back in college (this was the 80s) of contracting each other’s first and last names to the first syllable and then combining them into a designated nickname. This left me with the phonetically unfortunate appellation of Hoki.

8 Likes

Big fan of the band Marillion. This is one of their earlier tunes.

10 Likes