This Odd House

What are the comps?

2 Likes

Checking out houses in Madison WI (one of my Escape From Silicon Valley cities) and found this GORGEOUS HOME.

Oh no wait I meant this F***KED UP HOME THIS IS APPARENTLY ALL GARAGES

“Super unique property” :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post:

2 Likes

That balcony…

3 Likes

That’s odd, because the interior looks very nice and spacious (except for that awful grey faux-hardwood flooring in some of the rooms.) Did they take a picture of the garages and mistakenly present it as the exterior of the house?

3 Likes

Well, this is the Street View picture of the same house.

garage door - garage door - little staircase - garage door - garage door - recessed front door - garage door - garage door

The hideous balcony either came after the Street View picture, or was removed after the photo on Redfin was taken. You can see where the door to the balcony was either (a) boarded up or (b) not cut out yet.

Edit: I love that they have two entire driveways but park on the grass

Edit #2: apparently most of the house was “completed” by the seller and the house is being sold “as-is”

“I don’t think that house is up to code”

4 Likes

So they put a ton of effort into the interior but none into the exterior. I guess that might deter burglars from bothering with it.

From the outside it looks like a meth lab waiting to explode.

4 Likes

Umm anyone else see the problem here:

I have questions (also the walls don’t appear to be square):

I know it’s common in the UK, but I have never understood why people would allow the washer/dryer to be in the kitchen. (wet wall, yeah yeah, but still) And there is zero counter space to either cook or fold clothes:

No shower, the door opens inward (probably right into the sink), and you’d kill yourself on the counter if you slipped getting out of that tub.

More questions, but at least there’s something like a shower

Why?

So this is actually two houses? Two kitchens. A second laundry area. What looks like a second front entry.

Well it makes a statement …

Is there an alarm so you know when that door is open?

I do like this tub! (actually, this part of the house in general looks pretty nice)

More questions

YIKES!

This must have been a fireplace that was removed. There was an obvious hearth in one of the earlier pictures

4 Likes

When contractors do their own houses they do the WORST job. I know, my current house was previously owned by a contractor!

I was confused by the W/D in the kitchen as well until I figured out that’s the secondary kitchen – probably a downstairs in-law unit? What I don’t get is why on earth you would show that first.

The whole exterior just yells WOOD ROT at me.

2 Likes

To be fair (to be fair), I’m less than 2 hours north of this, and I regularly see places with more garage SF than living SF. It doesn’t make it any less strange, but it’s not uncommon around here. :woman_shrugging:t3:

To say it’s a steal means that the buyer is the one being ripped off. Egads.

3 Likes

I’m fine with lots of garage space. Since my husband does woodworking, I’d like more garage space. I only object to making it the entire front of the house. At any point did they ask themselves if this would look good? Did they just not care? Did they so desperately need six entire garage bays that all other considerations were secondary? Did they wonder why no other house on earth looks like this?

As you can see, I have questions :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Clearly they attempted to put another garage on that side of the house, but it just didn’t grow. :wilted_flower:

They just didn’t care!

5 Likes

Giant cabin with ALL that 1970s charm. All it needs is a couple of baked Alaskas to complete the Avalanche look.

1 Like

Is this a lake house or an old-time general store?

3 Likes

Can’t it be both? I sense a way to pay down that pricetag… :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

They buried the lede. Who wouldn’t want to live in proximity to The World’s Largest Ball of Twine??

2 Likes

shut_up_and_take_my_money.gif

a red-felted pool table in a wood paneled den with patterned orange carpet and something that looks like a cigarette vending machine

I can’t tell is this is a jukebox or a cigarette vending machine?

2 Likes

I thought the exact same thing!

I will say, the decor leaves something to be desired, but it is a big house with a lot of open floor plan. There isn’t anything horrendously wrong with it (other than the washer/dryer in the bloody bathroom of all places. Assuming someone wanted to put the money into it, it could be a great house. But it does need a lot of work to modernise it.

3 Likes

Alright hold the presses. My actual dream home…

6240 s.f.
29 acres
1600 feet of riverfront
A tower
An indoor hot tub
And this theater room:

3 Likes

“The agent said it was about twelve miles from Highway 10…”

5 Likes

Eagle Ridge Loogie?

3 Likes