This Odd House

Sounds like the time This Old House remodeled a large barn to convert it into a house, and saved just enough of it for Norm to panel two French doors for the library. Not because that was the original plan, but because the crew quickly discovered the barn was in much worse shape than the initial inspections had indicated.

4 Likes

Here that will just about get you a small 1 bedroom apartment.

2 Likes

Who wants to live in an old high school?

2 Likes

Wow, nothing like constant reminders of high school trauma while you have to renovate your entire living area.

3 Likes

Yeah but think how cathartic it will be to take a sledgehammer to some of those walls!

5 Likes

Even better — open demolition to the public and charge per sledgehammer swing!

4 Likes

I would go smoke weed in the bathroom, just because.

4 Likes

The pictures are so weird. It’s like they did a half-assed job to turn it into a house in the 1980s and then just gave up.

4 Likes

Yeah, the amount of stuff just…left and not cleaned up is odd.

The town north of me actually did turn an old high school (or maybe it was a middle school) into apartments probably 15-20 years ago. I haven’t seen them, but I hear they are kinda nice.

4 Likes

An old school where I used to live got turned into apartments. Looks like it’s mainly for university students now, which just seems cruel.

3 Likes

Was it for students at Iowa State College?

GIF-monic Institute — Uh… go Cyclones?

3 Likes

To be honest, that sums up the general American university experience for me. Which is why I came here to do it. Weirdly, it cost less than people pay now.

2 Likes

Taking a quick break from the Werewolf thread to point out that this house has a giant shark in the yard

3324 Portland Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55407 | MLS #6384995 | Zillow?

Though frankly I find the “bicycles as wall decoration” to be far weirder than the shark.

7 Likes

To be fair I think the bikes were in a mud room and that was storage for gear that gets used.

Love the part of the description that is clear that the shark comes with the house. LOL!

5 Likes

I think the Headington Shark House pulls the shark off better. There’s just something about the shark sticking up out of the roof that strikes my fancy more than one just displayed near the front gate.

3 Likes

Not for sale, but fits the brief.

Warning: Includes old man in tub.

2 Likes

My new dream home just dropped

:triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: “investor alert” :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post:

6 Likes

Great if you want to start a ballet school!

I actually kind of like the decoration, if you can get past the fact that the whole house is apparently one big room and a bathroom.

3 Likes

They had me with the exterior, nothing else matters :grin:

4 Likes

At first I thought we were looking at another railing house.

2 Likes