This Odd House

Given the appearance of the homes in the subdivision, I’d hazard a guess that the neighbors were there first. They’re not McMansions, nor the sort of cookie-cutter homes you see in more modern, single-contractor subdivisions. Lots of that sort of thing still in northern Illinois.

Never had any — against village ordinances.

1 Like

It’s a decaying ruin now, probably full of gelatinous cubes and incongruous treasure chests if years of RPGs have taught me right, but the Hall Mansion in PA seems like it would fit in here.

5 Likes

It, unsurprisingly, burned to the ground all the way back in 2002, but the Barn House in Bowling Green, IN was an amazing sight to see. Built by a guy who knew nothing but architecture, it was basically the redneck version of the Winchester Mansion. For a small fee, he would drunkenly show you around the place.

More pics here:

2 Likes

Gelatinous triangles, actually.

3 Likes

Oh, you want castles. Okay. I’ll give you castles.

Here is Bishop Castle. Another of those one-man projects that sort of got out of hand decades ago. The owner is known to be more than a bit crotchety and has been arrested a few times for getting into drunken fights with his neighbors. Jim Bishop who started the project is near 80 now I think, so his son has taken over more of the work.

4 Likes

Do The Wet Bandits live in the Wet Mountains?

1 Like

Far as I know, no. They are called the Wet Mountains because they get a lot (I mean A LOT) of snow in the winter

1 Like

Too much wood, you say?

This one no longer exists; destroyed by (checks notes) fire in 2019.

2 Likes

Anything built of wood will burn down sooner or later.

2 Likes

Which is quite helpful to archaeologists.

1 Like

A pagoda might not be the most unusual home… but in Indiana?

3 Likes

Yeah it certainly has things I like. I do like wood paneling, though I would pick walls OR ceiling, not both. I like the concrete floors. I like the urban industrial chic look though that shower seems kind of dark, but that could just be the photo.

The one thing I can’t get over is a kitchen with what – three, four feet of counter space total? And no cabinets. None. (They seem to keep their dishes in a separate … room? pantry? closet?) But for the price and the acreage this house is actually pretty attractive to me. Really it’s the grandma sofas that are the funniest part of the house.

3 Likes

The… Onans?

Really?

2 Likes

Well building a six-story tall golden pyramid surrounded by a moat is mental, um, self-satisfaction? So it fits.

1 Like

Yeah, I have to admit, I would take that house if I had the chance.

3 Likes

What’re y’all talking about? Aren’t all houses pyramidal?

2 Likes

Found the Ancient Egyptian.

3 Likes

Photos 1 - 26: This house is amazing!

Photos 27 - 28: And it comes with a tiny cabin OMG how adorbs!

Photo 29: Huh what’s that?

Photos 30 - 31: WHAT THE WHAT

Photos 32 - 39: THERE IS A WHOLE SECOND HOUSE

Conclusion: this is my new dream property

6 Likes

The first house is lovely. Love the deck, and the views, and the bedrooms seem spacious. And another deep soaking tub. Might have issues with the funky ceilings though. (six foot seven husband, you see)

The second house … redefines fixer-upper. LOL!

It almost looks like the second house was the original one of the property. They started to remodel and something happened.

2 Likes

Yelm is a hot market

34% of homes accept an offer within a week. Tour it before it’s gone!

If a house is going to sell quickly anyway, there’s no reason to gin up interest. Maybe this is a gripe thread post.

1 Like