This Odd House

It’s not my style, but the place does have a theme, and there’s nothing in there that looks out of place.

Still - golly.

5 Likes

Even the fan matches!

7 Likes

Holy mother of gawdy.

I’m not only cringing from the decor but from mentally running into that coffee table fifty times.

6 Likes

That is one hell of an aesthetic.

6 Likes

Oh come on, how many of us have never secretly dreamed of gilding every inch of our living space?

7 Likes

Wow. That is … certainly something.

“Golden” opportunity indeed.

6 Likes

Great. Now I’ve got “The Midas Touch” from Bells Are Ringing stuck in my head, probably for the remainder of the week.

4 Likes

Looking at the bathroom, one word that sticks out to describe the theme is “gewgaws”.

5 Likes

Gilding? No. Casting or milling everything out of solid 18-24K gold? Oh, yes.

YES…

5 Likes

IN THE SHOWER?

6 Likes

Nobody has ever showered in there, unless they have some kind of magical anti-mildew genie.

6 Likes

The place feels like it’s for a rich person who wants their own place when they have to visit London. One wouldn’t be so crass as to cook anything when they were there, and the cleaners would make sure the bathroom stayed shiny if they know what’s good for them.

5 Likes

There are actually no housekeepers in Britain anymore who are qualified to take care of that place… they have to fly one in from Las Vegas.

4 Likes

That’s very new money. Jeeves would not stand for it.

7 Likes

That’s how you know it’s British. If it were a Canadian home, it’d be all about doodads.

7 Likes

I said that elsewhere and someone told me they didn’t think it looked New Money at all. I think maybe New Money has changed and that’s old New Money but not Old Money.

3 Likes

That place has a very distinct and specifically London aesthetic - Russian Oligarch Chic.

It’s listed as a probate sale so someone clearly went bye-bye. Interested purchasers pay for a novichock check at their own expense, I’m sure.

6 Likes

I bet we find out that the original owner was a candy magnate and that’s all just gold foil. :confused:

4 Likes

Or it could all be delicious chocolate wrapped in gold foil

8 Likes

You know it’s Touch Of Satan [TM] chocolate because you unwrap it and there’s no bloom, even after 25 years. :open_mouth:

5 Likes