Very disillusioned right now

No, once the documentary was finally finished the Zappa Family Trust (ZFT) decided that giving out the digital copies that were always part of the KS rewards would just encourage piracy, so all backers got was access to a streaming copy on Vimeo.

3 Likes

Well, if there’s one thing we know it’s that the Zappas are surviving on nothing but remaindered canned beans and tap water. lol. Poor babies. :violin:

6 Likes

“Family Trusts” are never about the family… they’re always a greedy bunch of lawyers dedicated to prying every gold filling from the teeth of long-dead celebrities.

7 Likes

And, I’m sure that that behavior didn’t enrage anyone, not a single person, into recording the video stream and immediately uploading it to every torrent site on the planet, therefore causing exactly what they thought that they were going to 100% prevent with their skeezy bait-and-switch bull-butter?

Right?

SMFH

I swear some people spend their entire lives using their brains as seat cushions…

Sigh.

3 Likes

:joy: I know “I hope s/he sees this, Pal” is a legendary Wtitter put-down. But in this case/place, it’s not. I hope someone from the Trust evesdrops on us and sees this whole exchange. :smile_cat:

2 Likes

In this particular case, 2 of the 4 kids (the ones most people can name) are self-sufficient and wanted to be less restrictive/protective of the “brand” than their mom had been.

The two most people can’t name have been litigious in fighting that and have decided to take dad’s legacy to their graves.

Long story short: I never watched the documentary.

4 Likes

Hopefully Frank is oblivious to all this… I imagine you can get evicted from heaven for swearing.

5 Likes

They who may have invented swearing would understand

5 Likes

If I peer into the Akashic Records I can see Frank waving his arms animatedly while complaining about his kids to a bemused-looking Edgard Varèse.

2 Likes

Wait, actually I see the guy that ran the Zappa kickstarter also ran the new Reading Rainbow kickstarter that never made new episodes available publicly.

3 Likes

I was going to record it just to have my own offline copy, but I didn’t like it well enough to want to watch it again. So I obeyed the rules out of indifference.

4 Likes

I find myself doing that a lot, and it burns my butt. Provide me with a way to do nothing and flip you off!

6 Likes

Consider yourself flipped off unless I tell you otherwise

3 Likes

Wait wait wait! Now I see that the guy who ran the Reading Rainbow kickstarter that never released episodes publicly, and also ran the kickstarter for the Zappa doc that never released thee tracks digitally, is the same guy that ran the Aquabats kickstarter that has people waiting four years so far for their promised blu-ray’s. Let’s hope mst3k never gets entangled with that guy. Whoever he is, seems to focus far more on flashy topline money hauls, than fulfilling promises to backers. :eye::minibus:

4 Likes

… is the title of the debut album of my Violent Fems cover band?

6 Likes

One of my favorite online comments ever was someone so upset by the latest tweaked reissue of the original Star Wars films that he said “I’m not even going to illegally download them.”

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Question about prizes from the Hallowe’en Costume Contest Split the questions about Contest prizes off to its own thread for better visibility

Sorry to hear that you feel the pattern is related to me, and thanks for the subtle emoji use.

For what it’s worth, and I’m sure it’s not worth much:

• Reading Rainbow was never planning to “release episodes publicly” – that’s not what that campaign promised or attempted to do. It didn’t even make new episodes – it was for an app that was given to low-income schools for free. I have other concerns about how that campaign turned out, but they opted to handle their own fulfillment, and I wasn’t involved in that.

• Zappa team opted to handle their own fulfillment after we sent out the initial physical reward packages. Had no role in the rewards you’re mentioning, and didn’t even know that the digital downloads were never provided. I’m stunned and sorry to hear that.

• Aquabats also opted to handle the fulfillment of the final rewards – the box set and second album – without my involvement, because it’s taking them so long to get their final webisode finished.

And as far as MST3K goes… I guarantee you no one is more upset about the delays than I am.

I haven’t had a single day, including weekends, in 4 months that I don’t spend stressing and struggling to move the rewards forward, and I don’t expect I will until this all gets resolved. In addition, that’s not a paid gig – at this point, it’s volunteered time out of a desperate desire to make sure everyone gets what they paid for.

But if it makes you feel better to post complaints, then I genuinely support your right to do that, and I’m sorry to anyone who has voiced concerns or disappointment that is getting told to keep it to themselves.

Knowing you’re upset doesn’t help us get past the obstacles holding up rewards, but if it makes you feel like you’re being heard, then you should absolutely feel free to express your concerns.

I would be grateful if you didn’t feel the need to single me out personally, especially when your assumptions are based on inaccurate information about those other projects… but it’s not my place to tell you not to.

TLDR; I wish all of the rewards had gone out last summer, and that I didn’t have to read posts like yours, or write responses like this. But they didn’t, and I do, so I apologize for any ongoing disappointment or frustration you experience as we continue working to fix the situation.

36 Likes

Oh, @ivan. I’m sending you all the virtual hugs. I don’t want anyone to stress about material things that are just going to be decorations for me°, least of all you who has done so much with getting the new season to us via the Gizmoplex. I’m content to patiently wait as long as it means this whole thing doesn’t have any lasting impacts on you personally. :hugs:

° Your mileage or desire may vary.

17 Likes

I got my money’s worth from the season itself. The physical rewards will just be gravy.

(Not that I don’t like gravy.)

21 Likes