What are you listening to right now?

My favorite song of hers, been playing this over and over tonight

3 Likes

With Tina’s passing, this Bond song is back in my head.

1 Like

Happy Towel Day, froods.

3 Likes
1 Like

What if: modern “alternative” radio rock, but competent and not utterly annoying? :grin:

(Thanks to Gravity: yet another fun begun-in-the-90s group I would not have known of without MR_Potroast)

1 Like

Yes, I transcribed the first few choruses of Wes’s solo when I was “between guitars” and just doing piano and organ and woodshedding.

Man, that is hot stuff, and listening to right now.

1 Like

Today’s albums…

2 Likes

Alice Cooper, Dio, Iron Maiden… Billy Joel.

2 Likes

It’s an eclectic mix. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re just jealous of my taste in music.

2 Likes

No jealousy here… I like all 4 of them.

1 Like

I read somewhere that AC/DC was one of his favorite rock bands ever before he got older and just mostly listened to classical.

1 Like

Since y’all seemed so amused by yesterday’s lineup, here was today’s spins…

2 Likes

My favorite pre Alien 3 Fincher helmed video.

1 Like

I’m not quite listening to it yet, but at the top of the hour (2 PDT) I’ll be listening to a tribute to Tina on one of our local nonprofit radio stations, KISN. They’re also on the web.

EDIT: So, they’re an hour into the tribute, pretty much going chronologically, and are up to “We Don’t Need Another Hero”. As much as I loved to hear Tina sing, these records from “Private Dancer” forward really do little for me. I liked the “rough” Tina of the '60s and '70s far more than the “nice” Tina of the ‘80s.
There was a PBS show called Soundstage that showcased performers in concert, and Tina was on it around 1981 or so. That, to me, is when she was at her peak as a performer, tearing the roof off all her material (and others’ like “Hot Legs”) up to that point.

1 Like
3 Likes

Today’s spins

1 Like

Whole album, Jimmy Mcgriff, The Worm.

I listen to his earlier Sue Records all the time, but I haven’t heard this in a while.

Gearing up to invest in some MIDIfied bass pedals and set up a more stable dual-manual Hammond clone (XK-1 on top, and get my Yamaha weighted-key digital piano out from under doing double duty as a lower manual, just tuck a slim 61-key controller underneath, to get the manuals closer together as well as not to have to fiddle too much with the limited controller abilities of the Yamaha DP). Plus, if I want to play piano, I don’t even want to think about organ. Too different, don’t want to deal with fiddling around with stuff.

Dig McGriff’s pedal work! He was one of the heaviest cats in terms of both feel and application of the bass pedals in addition to the “meat” of the LH.

It’s not easy to hear the difference between someone who’s heavy on pedals versus the traditional way of just tapping, but you’ll hear it on this album and the Sue Record albums.

Usually it’s really only super-obvious when the pedals are used as a special kind of effect, but if you listen closely, you can hear if someone has a heavy foot or not. Whether or not they are actually shadowing the LH with the pedals.

And he had time, all kinds of time for days.

1 Like

That’s what you want from grandma!

1 Like
2 Likes