What are you smiling about? The Non-Complaint Thread

Well, the Toshiba 3950/3960 had a reputation back in the day as a “sleeper” DVD player that managed rather well for playing redbook CDs. That was the reason I bought it, and it still works.

I still have it, because (i) I don’t care about hi-def anything (ii) I only use it to play CDs.

There’s an optical disc player built into this TV I have…probably at least BluRay or better…but I’ve never plugged in the TV, so I wouldn’t know. I watch everything on a notebook computer.

Actually, an ancient Acer C720 Chromebook running only linux on it…meh, it works, and audio through the KRK Classic 5s is acceptable to me.

Don’t really care about audio or video fidelity: as long as I can make out the notes (music) or the general idea of the video, doesn’t matter to me.

1 Like

IMO some bad old movies are enhanced by video artifacts the same way that the Sex Pistols are by vinyl.

2 Likes

I am following up on this and saying that everything with both the shows went really well. We all had fun and everything turned out amazing!

Here are some more pictures.

12 Likes

Went to a ballgame today - the nearby single-A team. Nothing beats a day at the ballpark.

7 Likes

I have a HDMI-to-component converter that I use on an old TV, which would work if your TV has component input.

2 Likes

There are also hdmi to composite video converter boxes.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Go for the smartphones next!

Is this identifying “General Ned Ludd” as the author?

2 Likes

Very timely to bring up Luddites. Their goal wasn’t against technology per se, but rather against greedy business owners firing skilled workers, replacing them with technology, to squeeze out more profits for themselves, quality and sustainability be damned.

Currently with AI, we already see AI-generated news articles and law briefs that include blatant falsehoods. These are being published and filed by modern-day, short-sighted businesses and firms, consequences be damed. Should any resulting lawsuits and sanctions against these publishers and law firms be swift and severe, that will give me something to smile about and not complain about.

4 Likes

Two days off. Managed to sleep until almost 8 a.m. That’s really difficult for me to do when the sun comes up so early, but then, I stayed in bed until 9 a.m. and I’m looking forward to just having a leisurely day today and tomorrow.

6 Likes

Not so bad!

I “discovered” (probably read it somewhere, don’t remember) that the standard fretboard dots/inlays/markers on a guitar actually mean something that makes musical sense. Go figure! Minor third, Perfect Fourth, Perfect Fifth, Major Sixth Octave! What will they think of next! They crafty!

I also “caught” someone who had put a carboard box into one of my HOA’s dumpsters. One of my dipstick neighbors threw a (figurative) shoe when a put some collapsed boxes in the dumpster night before garbage day, and the HOA pro-tem property manager threatened me with a $100 fine next time. So, tore off the portion of the box, took a picture, and am now training a spare camera on the bin.

And for once my Helpful Friend at The Place that does That Thing didn’t call me in for A Thing tomorrow at The Place. Which is darned right,

And, I realized I really only need to scan/photocopy about a hundred pages or so of the chapters I want out of this book from ILL due tomorrow. Of course, I’ll request it immediately after returning, but I do look forward to comparing the German translation (done by the author of the original text in Polish, which I don’t read) to a few select chapters. Yes, I’ll have to spend a few hours at the public library tomorrow, but…meh…I’m used to it.

AND with extra work money coming in from last two days, my credit card bill will be null, and I can even fuel up the tank with gasoline. So I can use my modest bonus on a set of MIDI-fied organ bass pedals suitable for hell-toe action, a cheap 61-key MIDI controller, and buy a second tier attachment for my trusty QuikLok WS-550 keyboard stand. Plus pay down more debts.

Plus, Kylee was nice to me at work today. We don’t work for the same company, but her company and mine interact a bunch every day. Nothing big deal, just she seemed in a good mood, which makes the whole me yelling at them with a megaphone a little less antagnostic.

2 Likes

My Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves DVD came today!

8 Likes

I heard my anthem song on the radio coming in to work today.

And I get to go pick up my new bike this afternoon.

This pleases me.

8 Likes

Lucky you. I haven’t heard Grim Reaper’s “See You In Hell” on the radio in, like, forever.

6 Likes

Smiling, but also a little sad. Today is my daughter’s first official day as a teenager.

8 Likes

It begins!

Angry Teen Titans GIF by DC Comics

3 Likes

Oh, that already began a while ago.

3 Likes

Um, in case I haven’t been screaming it loud enough, I have a new bike. Heading out for my first big ride on Saturday.

It’s got me all:

Alice In Wonderland Animation GIF

5 Likes

I bet it’ll be totally rad!

rad movie GIF

3 Likes

Kinda smiling, but also nervous. Patio being torn out and redone today. Let’s hope it goes well!!

7 Likes