What games have you played recently?

Got Triangle Strategy for my birthday and it fully has its hooks in me right now. All this drama and political intrigue makes me feel classy, the strategy makes me feel smart, and the graphics make me feel 18.

4 Likes

I just upgraded my system and the first game on my list was DEATHLOOP. Itā€™s pretty fun so far

4 Likes

As well they should be!

3 Likes

Picked up Monster Hunter Rise and was pretty pleased with the names I picked for the pets. (The text is small. Youā€™ll want to view at full size.)

6 Likes

Iā€™ve beaten Asterix now. The European version is certainly a tricky game but at least there are a handful of passwords scattered throughout the game which does make it a lot more manageable. The levels are also generally quite short with most being under a minute. Those things prevent the game from becoming too frustrating and as the platforming itself is generally fairly good, it is an enjoyable enough game if you like an old-school challenge. There is some cheap nonsense though like leaps of faith onto platforms that disappear from your feet as soon as you land, enemies attacking you immediately as the level starts and some questionable hitboxes.

4 Likes

After this post in the music thread, I fired up Dynamite Headdy.

I have the UK and Japanese versions but Iā€™ve never actually beaten the game because it gets pretty tough in the second half of the game. The Japanese version is slightly easier but is still hard as nails. Iā€™ve finally managed to beat the stage 8 boss which is now the furthest Iā€™ve reached. I didnā€™t last very long in the next stage but itā€™s progress lol. Treasure games can be difficult but at least theyā€™re usually the fair kind of difficult so you just have to knuckle down and ā€œgit gudā€ as the kids say.

4 Likes

Finally! I even got all the secret numbers from the bonus stages too.

The last boss is really tough but fortunately takes less hits in the Japanese version than the international one. While some of the bosses are notably more difficult in the international version, the thing that makes the biggest difference is Continues. The Japanese one starts you with 3 and itā€™s a bit easier to earn more. Having more bites at the cherry really helps you learn the boss patterns which is where much of the gameā€™s difficulty comes from. Unless youā€™re using the level select cheat, you keep getting sent back to the start of the game in the international version which can erode your desire to stick at it a bit as itā€™s a fairly long game.

4 Likes

183 levels and ~190 hours later, Iā€™ve completed Elden Ring.

Did I become the Elden Lord? After way too many people kept making a big fuss about it the entire time? Iā€™m not telling and only the save file sent up to the cloud knows for certain.

Itā€™ll be fun to explore it again; since I spent this run exploring most of what the game has to offer, subsequent runs can focus on trying build ideas or chasing specific endings which will be nice. Thereā€™s easily a few things here and there I likely missed so discovering those fresh will be fun.

Butā€¦ some other time. For now, I think Iā€™ll veg out on on Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove for a while.

7 Likes

Mr. Sarah and I are absolutely hooked on this GeoGuessr style game:

6 Likes

Been playing Guild Wars 2 since launch (almost 10 yrs)
also lately been playing Old School Runescape :slight_smile:

4 Likes

On my Evercade, Iā€™m playing the Chaos Engine - also known in the USA as Soldiers of Fortune. It is similar to Gauntlet. You pick two of six mercenaries with different strengths, weaknesses and abilities; you then have to fight your way through several levels shooting enemies, grabbing money to upgrade your abilities and finding keys to unlock doors.

5 Likes

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile on my PCSX2 as one of the compilation games from the Japan-only NamCollection: a game where Namco celebrated their 50th anniversary at the time in 2005.

3 Likes

Immortals: Fenix Rising on Switch. Itā€™s so much like Breath of the Wild, but not quite. I might be giving up on it. Itā€™s getting a little too ā€˜check-off-boxes-on-your-map,ā€™ which is probably just me; certainly Zelda has that too.

2 Likes

i love the music in that game

3 Likes

i am probably the only person in the world surprised by this, but BOTW2 is delayed until next year :pensive: was really looking forward to playing it this year

4 Likes

Already have the upcoming Klonoa collection pre-ordered, though Iā€™m annoyed that I have to resort to imports because they wonā€™t commit to a NA physical release.

2 Likes

It was incredibly bland and everything the game had to offer was experienced in the first 3 hours. Also, microtransactions.

Linking more of the chores to story beats would have kept me a little more invested. Maybe.

3 Likes

Just started Paradise Killer, and itā€™s delightfully weird.

Iā€™m a little concerned about the first-person perspective, as that usually spins me into motion sickness, but so far the visual novel interrogations give enough of a break that I havenā€™t had an issue.

3 Likes

Alright. As of today, I finished playing Klonoa. It was actually one of the best games Iā€™ve played thus far! And now for me to save enough for the remaster.

5 Likes

Started Nobody Saves the World the other night (Toejam & Earl was fun for a while but I think I still dig the Genesis era one more).

So far, itā€™s okay. Not ermahgerd exceptional but not painfully mediocre. Having access to multiple forms in a NES Zelda flavored adventure is kinda fun but a little too much of the gameplay relies on fulfilling specific ability mixes that it challenges you to undertake. Donā€™t get me wrong ā€“ itā€™s a cool little mechanic going on there. Itā€™s just too far in front.

Noticed thereā€™s an achievement for beating it twice. I dunno if I have more than the single playthrough in me.

3 Likes