What movie line hasn't aged well?

If he was talking to an adult, sure. But context matters, and he is talking to a 5 year old. I don’t think most people would look at an adult talking to a 5 year old and think he’s asking that in a sexual manner.

2 Likes

I believe you misunderstood me. I was referring to the practice of listening to rock music too loud. I am a Beatles fan. I celebrate the entire catalog. For me, it doesn’t get any better than Yoko warbling on “Revolution #9”.

I recommend this warmly for Harrison fans.

For the MST3K and Beatles fans, see if there isn’t a (slight) similarity between the late Denis O’Brien and Jim Mallon.

I love both these musicals so much. It was very funny to see “Seven Brides” three years ago with Russ Tamblyn speaking in hushed tones.

We live in odd times.

(By sheer coincidence, I’m currently reading Abe Burrows’ biography. He (co-)wrote Guys and Dolls, which I didn’t know, and won a Pulitzer for How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, which is why I started reading it. His son is James Burrows, of “Taxi”, “Cheers”, “Frasier” fame.)

1 Like
1 Like

It really sucks because the music is terrific.

2 Likes

My favorite live action G rated movie ever.

1 Like

The 1967 movie, “The Incident” has more than a few badly aged lines, but the hoodlums delivering them were supposed to be cringe and so it is less that they ‘aged badly’ and more that they were always supposed to be kind of offensive. But even today some of it sets your hairs up, like when they are hassling the black passenger and use some pretty racist lines.

1 Like

Look at that ridiculous seat reclining angle!

1 Like

As an aside, Abe Burrows also co-created the long-running radio show Duffy’s Tavern, which bears a curious similarity to Cheers, although if you were going to compare Duffy’s Tavern to a TV show Archie Bunker’s Place is probably a better fit.

2 Likes

Okay, yes in the movie itself it’s not an issue. Pedophilia is not part of the movie. It does unfortunately exist. I’m trying really hard to keep this clean and not political. The point I’m making is that out of context, the quote sounds wrong. Add the tiny bit of context to said wrongness of it involving 5 year olds, it is unquantifiably wrong.
Now go to the part of the movie where both officers are in the classroom. The topic is stranger danger. This is because the father wants to abduct his son. However in general the lesson is going with strangers might get you hurt. Fortunately no children get hurt, but adults did get hurt.

1 Like

I was listening to one podcast review of the Michael Caine film Blame it on Rio, and there’s a number of lines that people probably never thought twice about in 1984, but now all these years later are just totally creepy.

There did seem to be a number of other films in the 80’s that had that issue (like several Brooke Shields films, as well as John Derek films).

3 Likes

Hello, Operator? Get me (anyone…)

3 Likes

And, similarly, “the phone number is Murray Hill 9-447.” and “when you hear the tone, the time will be 10:30 precisely. *ding*”

2 Likes

“When you hear the tone” - I always hear that line in my head in Katharine Hepburn’s voice because of Bringing Up Baby :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s what made me think of it. I was watching it the other day. But I remember it from things like Bugs Bunny too.

3 Likes

I was just watching a movie from the 20’s called The Racket, when a title card came up explaining why a cop hates criminals, where he explained “They banged my old man.”

4 Likes

All the lines that heaped so much importance and reverence upon fax machines in Die Hard 2.

4 Likes

Similarly: “McFly! READ MY FAX!” from Back to the Future II. Apparently faxes would be such a big deal in 2015 that the house would have multiple fax machines that all printed the same thing.

4 Likes

“I get off in about half an hour.” “Just the fax, ma’am.”

5 Likes

All on dot matrix printers. THAT’S THE FUTURE, BAYBAY

3 Likes

Any movie like Dirty Harry where an ultra-violent cop that shoots first and asks questions later is the hero definitely haven’t age well.

4 Likes