What movie line hasn't aged well?

Speaking of Ryan O’Neal and a movie line that never aged at all:

1 Like

I’ve been watching a lot of classic Hollywood movies from the 40s & 50s lately and one thing that keeps happening that baffles me is how often characters meet like twice and then they’re getting married. Red flags? Whatevs!

3 Likes

If you think that’s bad, you should watch Brief Encounter.

1 Like

No, actually, Blame It On Rio was considered pretty creepy at the time! 50yo Michael Caine and 19yo (playing 16? yo) Michelle Johnson? :grimacing:

So, It’s A Wonderful Life?

2 Likes

George Bailey finds out what it would be like if he had never been born… WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.

2 Likes

Madman terrorizeS Pottersville and only Bert The Cop can stop him!

2 Likes

Bedford Falls…into the grips of crime.

2 Likes

“Can you see Clarence the Angel? Well, you’re gonna…”

3 Likes

HEE-HAW! *BLAM*

2 Likes

Marry Christmas, munitions depot! Merry Christmas, you old gun shop!

3 Likes

“Just the facts, ma’am” is from Dragnet.

2 Likes

Only attributed. He never actually said it.

2 Likes

One reason has to do with the employment of women at the time. After WW2 women were expected to return to being housewives. The short story A Glass Menagerie is a good example of how hard it is to get a good paying job for women. Ever notice that female reporters get very little respect in old movies? Actually it still happened in the 80s. That was supposed to be a great job for women. Being a secretary was supposed to be a great job too. In the short about home economics one woman spent all that money to become a housewife. Her little female brain didn’t realize that being taught how to cook and sew helped her as a housewife. She wins the DUH Award. Sheesh, even boy scouts learn how to sew.

2 Likes

The old How to Succeed in Business musical just showed up on Prime. Most cringes per minute in anything I’ve seen in ages. Even the Loesser songs were pretty meh.

2 Likes

I know.

1 Like
1 Like

Yes it is. I’m quoting a scene from Die Hard 2 where an Avis clerk flirts with John McClane after he uses her fax machine. He just smiles, flashes his wedding ring and throws the Dragnet reference at her.

1 Like

Well, considering that the original premise for All in the Family was “What if Archie the Manager and Miss Duffy got married?” And then the premise for Archie Bunker’s Place was “What if Archie Bunker was running a tavern?” you can see where the similarity comes from.

1 Like

Interesting, I didn’t know that. Looking at Archie and Edith, it makes some sense, though I don’t remember Archie the manager being a bigot.

1 Like

That was the original premise. The show ended up changing quite a bit by the time it aired, and even more during the length of its run.

1 Like