What song do you have stuck in your head right now?

This is NSFW (there are 2 f-bombs in it) but the song has been in my head all day - though Lennon was not really working class, it really cuts to the bone

If this violates censor rules I’ll go ahead and remove it.

6 Likes

I didn’t even know these existed—you made my day!

3 Likes

I have to confess, I thought that Marianne Faithfull really made that song her own.

3 Likes

Mmm, it was okay, as was Lauper’s version.

I think some folks can make a song their own, Johnny Cash and Hurt for one, but Working Class Hero is Lennon’s -and maybe it’s because I’ve lived with it for so many years, but the covers pale by comparison for me.

3 Likes

Totally agree with Hurt. I was unaware that Cyndi Lauper had covered Working Class Hero. I like her, but I can’t hear her doing the song.

As an aside, I met Johnny Cash once and, in a plot twist, The Man In Black was wearing a Hawaiian shirt. As I recall, he had just gotten back from recording in the Bahamas.

5 Likes

Lauper did it during a tribute concert (might have been the same one where Avril Lavigne mangled Imagine?)

I went to see if any other acts had covered it and found a different version by Faithfull that I liked a lot better. Marianne Faithfull - Working Class Hero - live - YouTube

The problem I have with them is that they try and rock it out, with electrics and drums and such - when the song doesn’t really need that, its power isn’t in the production but in the voice and the emotion, all the hurt, and confusion, the anger and exhaustion wrapped up in one. Lauper just kind of sang it, Faithfull at least found the emotion in it.

3 Likes

What a song.

From what I can tell Carl Palmer would be insufferable company but I have to give him kudos for having the audacity to play the Ronettes beat in 6/8 or whatever it is at the top of the song. It’s the kind of unnecessary fiddly filagree-ing I just have to admire. Cocaine is a hell of a drug etc.

4 Likes

Wow, I remember watching that. Wasn’t it, like, 20+ years ago? I remember she totally bailed on the lyrics late in the song. I get it, there are a lot of lyrics :slight_smile:

Currently stuck in my head: “Southern Nights”, specifically the Glen Campbell version

4 Likes

Been listening to a lot of 30s and 40s music lately, so right now what I keep singing to myself is…

5 Likes

We watched the prom episode of Derry Girls (highly recommend this show) and got this in my head. Good song that I had never heard of before watching this show.

Scarlet - Independent Love Song

4 Likes

Was playing on the radio. Now it’s stuck in my head.

4 Likes

Yakkos World. There since the 90s.

6 Likes

Now I’m groovin’ on Spike Jones.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Love those Wacky Wakakians.

4 Likes

Just got The Beach Boys’ box set Feel Flows, and am digging “All I Wanna Do” from the Sunflower album.
The Beach Boys - “All I Wanna Do”

3 Likes

Great, after doing “The Beatniks” screengrabs for another thread I’ve got “Sideburns” stuck in my head, and it wont go away.

:ice_cream: “Dish of ice cream…”

3 Likes

Today it’s Maxïmo Park’s Our Velocity:

Not a song but the “poor little cake” chant from the latest Ted Lasso keeps popping into my head now too. :smile:

5 Likes

For whatever reason it’s Cyndi Lauper and Goonies ‘R’ Good Enough this morning :grin:

8 Likes
8 Likes