What was your first MST/Riff forum?

Or any MST social media sites. You don’t have to mention your past names, and if this has been done already, please merge.

I’ve been part of a riffing community since I first owned a home computer. Odd thing is, I don’t really do much social media or forums except for MST. Not even the Beatles -who I love above all- never spent much time on Beatles boards.

The first MST thing I visited was not really a forum like this, it was just lines of conversation. I don’t know what that was, but the fanbase was pretty entrenched, and while they weren’t unkind, I was definitely not part of the in crowd.

So, I consider the old Sci-Fi forums my official first. I met a lot of cool people and felt welcome there, but it was unmoderated and when the trolls decided to raise a ruckus, it was chaotic.

Anyone else here use that forum?

When that shut down, I moved to another, and visited Sat News from time to time. I was also a member of Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic’s forums.

And now I’m here.

10 Likes

Fear not, no need to merge. :laughing:

And as for first MST3K forum…um…gestures to current surroundings

13 Likes

I’ve been a regular on Reddit’s r/mst3k for many years now and a regular here for over a year now. That’s it though.

6 Likes

The Kickstarter comments section, just before this place launched.

I watched the show back in the 90s but didn’t get into any online fandom.

7 Likes

I occasionally visited the old “Forrest Crow” message boards. Ya know, about once or twice every few years.

7 Likes

I still moderate the ghost town that is the Rifftrax Roundtable.

9 Likes

Pretty much just Satellite News.

8 Likes

Exactly this.

6 Likes

I don’t know if it was the AOL MST3K forum or RATM that I was on first (before it became RATMM) around 1993-1994. One of those.

Time is the fire in which we burn.

7 Likes

I can’t really remember the FIRST one with any specificity. I just remember poking around online in the early days of the Internet and finding various MST3K websites and assorted forums where the Joel/Mike flamewars burned out of control.

As for one where I have a concrete memory of things? I didn’t participate back then, but… probably the Sci-Fi Channel forums for the show.

5 Likes

Last time I peeked my head in there, it was pretty quiet. Haven’t been back in a spell

3 Likes

I have vague recollections of participating in some of the MST3K usenet groups back in the olden days. When I had a webpage and FTP server for audio clips from the shows.

Then nothing until the Rifftrax Roundtable in 2007.

7 Likes

Same with me. Mostly just browsed the Mst3k reddit until this forum came along a year ago or so.

7 Likes

Oh, you know, does the Digital Archive Project IRC channel count? They were doing other shows, but the primary focus was MST3K. I hung out there for a while.

6 Likes

I’ve been in MST3K threads on forums/platform for other things, but straight up riffapalooza…
Just this place right here.

6 Likes

Compuserve Sci-Fi Media forum!

8 Likes

I was on the Facebook MST3K Revival League, until I quit FB. It was the only reason I stuck with FB for as long as I did. Happy to have this replacement!

I’ve always been glad I wasn’t on any earlier forums so I got to miss the Host Flamewars entirely.

5 Likes

It’s honestly this one.

I’ve always knew there were other forums, groups and chatrooms dedicated to MST3K, but I was usually hesitant to join-in because reasons.

I’d be dishonest if I said I wasn’t still a little anxious about this one too, but I just decided: “Oh, come on. Just give it a try!”

Year and a half later: Still here! :smiley:

12 Likes

And we’re glad you are! high five

7 Likes

This is the first for me, and I’m happy it’s been so much fun!

8 Likes