What was your first MST/Riff forum?

And here you could have goofed off for three months and turned in the whole thing at the end.

1 Like

At which time all my co-workers would have justifiably murdered me, as a committee, Orient Express style.

2 Likes

Usenet for me. I’m old.

11 Likes

I used to register my riffs with the town cryer.

5 Likes

It was a dead heat between alt.tv.mst3k and a LambdaMOO site where I acquired Deep 12. :smiley: It would be 1993 or thereabouts. Yes, I’m older than dirt…

5 Likes

I have to say that this IS my first MSTie forum.

7 Likes

I’ve been hanging around the MST3K subreddit for a while now, but I never really interacted with the other online communities. I didn’t really get into MST3K until after it went off the air, so I missed all the early ones, and by then I’d withdrawn from engaging with internet strangers quite a bit.

3 Likes

Right.

My parents brought home a Terminal in 1971. The modem worked at 150 baud so you could just read the data as it came in. You could mass send messages via WYLBUR–don’t ask me what it stood for, I was a toddler–and a bunch of us toddlers talked a lot about how we loved this show that was gonna come out in twenty years or so…

3 Likes

My early Internet cool kid story was getting arrested in a computer lab for being a minor in it after curfew. That’s it. That’s the only reason I was arrested.

2 Likes

We must pair off and out-riff each other until there is only one of us left! Hi-KEEBA!

2 Likes

Would you also have been arrested if you’d been somewhere other than a computer lab, or did the police assume you were in there waging global thermonuclear war?

3 Likes

It was stupider than that. There was a bathroom down the hall where supposedly men had been soliciting each other for sex and they thought I might have had something to do with that. They asked me about the bathroom like four times. But what they arrested me for was curfew violation. Didn’t stop me going to the university computer lab at 3 am though.

2 Likes

“Dude, I’m in a computer lab at 3 AM, and you think I have something to do with sex?”

(Sorry, we’ve all been there. :laughing:)

6 Likes

Sounds like they were really interested in that bathroom. Nudge nudge.

2 Likes

To be fair, it was kind of an issue at the time. Some of the people in there would be pretty aggressive. I once had to use it and a guy stuck his head under the stall while I was sitting there. So I sort of understand why they were patrolling the area, but the building was pretty much empty at the time except for me, so I’m not sure who they thought I was going to be soliciting.

1 Like

This is my first MST forum but I had my brushes with the fandom for years through social media. In particular when the Space Mutiny craze hit tumblr and twitter. That was a good time

5 Likes

Club MST3K, which pretty much breathed its last in the early months of 2022. I’ve tried to salvage as much of the “Other Vids” listings as I can (and carry on updating them), which was one of that site’s special features.

8 Likes

I may be showing my age, but for me it was rec.arts.tv.MST3K.misc (and the associated IRC channels).

6 Likes