What's YOUR problem? A thread for griping.

I just discovered that Joe Dante and Charlie S. Haas, the team behind Gremlins 2: The New Batch made a parody of a 1950s teen exploitation film called Runaway Daughters as part of a Showtime anthology film series called Rebel Highway and, aside from a few short clips on YouTube, it seems to have fallen down the memory hole.

I really really really want to see this movie and I can’t.

:angry:

1 Like

If there is someone like that, I will never forgive them.

2 Likes

Seriously. I was livid just learning that device exists. Who would do that to someone? I wouldn’t do that to someone I really hated. It’s just petty.

4 Likes

Yeah. I read a couple of reviews and one person did it to a coworker! Not even someone they said they hated. But the guy was ready to get a maintenance person in to tear out the walls looking for the source. The only reason it didn’t happen was because someone else blabbed about it. But it sounds like no one would have stopped that waste of company funds, damage and just making someone miserable. That is just nasty to do. :angry:

4 Likes

It really is. I know it’s a common thing for neurodivergents to hear electricity. Thankfully, that’s not me. But I do have super hearing. I could hear the whine of the old CRT TV in my parents’ guest room from halfway across the house, even over my tinnitus. I was so relieved when they finally replaced it with a flat screen. I wonder if your Home Despot had a light bulb that needed changing.

5 Likes

AFAIK I’m neurotypical with this one superpower (I can hear electrical things too)

The neighbor behind me had a sonic bird repeller (meant to stop them flying into windows I guess?) It would drive me mad every time I went in the yard, for weeks. Nobody could hear it but me, then one day my husband installed an app that shows a chart of noise by frequency and there was a huge spike at some dumb high frequency. He talked to the neighbors because I was in a homicidal rage and showed them the chart. They denied it was their thing, yet somehow, that day it stopped and never came back.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m mentally NT, but my actual sensory neurons are all hypersensitive. Fun times. I’m glad you got things sorted with the neighbors. Impressive that you could hear it. But good job, Mr. Mint!

4 Likes

Great cast! Great directors and writers! Mixed results!

Very much in the same vein as their “Roger Corman Presents” series, which didn’t generally have the same high quality cast and crew, but I found it hit the spot better (at least season one of RCP did).

In some ways “Rebel Highway” was ahead of its time. I can’t imagine it wasn’t part of the inspiration for “Grind House”. I know Rodriguez worked on “Highway”; I don’t think Tarantino had anything to do with it, but I could be wrong.

For better and worse, the stories borrowed titles but not the plots of the sort of movies that might have been MSTed, like “Roadracers” and (one I particularly remember) “Reform School Girl”. “Reform School Girl” was directed by Jonathan Kaplan, who cut his teeth on this kind of movie, like Corman’s Night School Nurses. ISTR it was one of the better efforts.

Yeah, my oldest could hear TVs that were “off” or muted, and radio signals hit her so hard, when I took her to the airport, she had a grand mal seizure.

3 Likes

One of the other websites I spend a large amount of time on has been down for over 24 hours. It is also a Discourse-based forum. I wonder if they were trying to do an update and it didn’t go well.

I’m having withdrawals…

5 Likes

An old client from when my late wife and I ran our Spanish services business from our home came by saying a friend of hers needed something notarized. I told them ok and she said she was going to pick her up and bring her back with the documents… That was over 2 hours ago!
I put off my dinner waiting on them to show back up, wasting my time and aggravating my wife as well :confounded:
One very bad habit I’ve dealt with when it comes to the Latino community is their concept of time. They say they will come by or setup an appointment and I would estimate 2/3rds of the time they don’t follow through or show up when they say they are/will. This has really annoyed me over the years and still does to this day!

4 Likes

For me – thankfully no seizures – but it was always department stores that were the worst. I don’t know if it was the lighting or the alarm or the HVAC, but there was always a very high-pitched humming noise in every department store. Thankfully I rarely go to those anymore. I hope your daughter is able to manage, since unfortunately you can’t “look away” from sound the way you can from visual stimuli.

3 Likes

YOU"VE BEEN SPENDING TIME WITH OTHER DISCOURSES???!?!?!?

:wink: .

6 Likes

There are ways to train the brain to handle it, and those have helped her so she’s much better now, thanks.

5 Likes

Technically, this place would probably be the “other discourse”.

3 Likes

It’s windy out and my big scary killer dog is afraid of wind, so she has to hide in my tiny office on one side of me and the little one refuses to be anywhere I’m not, so he has to be on the other side of me, constantly begging to get on my lap. I just want to eat dinner and go to bed.

4 Likes

It’s 8pm Saturday night and 16 degrees outside. This is the warmest it will be until at least Thursday.

The cold makes an old injury ache like heck. Not a happy camper.

3 Likes

My eyes are itchy from going to a swim meet this morning, but I can’t take antihistamines because I’ve got an appointment Tuesday to figure out to what, if anything, I’m allergic.

It’s from the chlorine, officer, I swear!

5 Likes

It’s my birthday and I’m not sure what the best way of celebrating here is!

7 Likes

Happy birthday! I’d give you a cake if I could!

2 Likes

You should have a cake next to your name, if you told Discourse your birthday.

3 Likes