Worst movie you saw in the theater

Some of my opinions will be controversial <_<

Last Action Hero
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3
Super Mario Bros
Double Dragon
Street Fighter
Godzilla (1998)
The Phantom Menace, Star Wars (My dad was right next to me. It was awkward and emasculating)
Van Helsing (2004)

Hi, I grew up in the 90s and that decade has a lot to apologize for!

8 Likes

Aww, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is one I have to blend with the comic to get an ideal version in my head, but I liked it, invented Tom Sawyer and all. Wanted more Mina Harker though.

6 Likes

The first Star Trek movie I actually got to see in the theater, and it had to be “Star Trek V”.

12 Likes

Resident Evil: Afterlife. But we went in knowing it would be bad - and it seems a lot of other peoople thought so too, because we were the only ones in the theater!

…You can guess how that turned out. Bad movie? Certainly. Wasted money? Definitely not!

7 Likes

Fortunately I’ve never seen one in theaters, but I feel somone needs to add almost every Michael Bay movie ever made to this list. One of the funniest things I have ever seen is when Michael Bay announced on Twitter he was releasing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. Directly under that tweet somebody had posted, “Michael Bay what did we ever do to you to deserve you doing this to our childhood?!” Wiser words were never spoken.

3 Likes

I thought of another - Popcorn, a slasher movie that takes place in a theater. Went with friends to see it opening night in a packed theater and the audience completely turned on the film, mocking it mercilessly. It didn’t help that the film broke at one point, leaving the audience to stew in their seats for ten minutes.

Fortunately the audience turned it into a good time.

Oh, one more: went to a multiplex to see a movie with friends that was playing CURLY SUE. There was a bomb-scare and we were all evacuated. Turns out it was just a plank call, and as we went back in I told my friends, “They found the bomb and it was CURLY SUE.”

5 Likes

+1 for Battlefield Earth. The only movie I’ve ever walked out on.

5 Likes

I got you covered, posted this in the Never made a Good Film topic.

3 Likes

When I saw Star Trek 5 back in the day there was a problem with the projector and the film literally melted and snapped right near the end. It was like the film itself hated watching the movie.

But we paid for the darn thing so we waited in the theater for like 20 minutes for them to get another copy of the film and rethread the projector so we could see the final camping scene.

We didn’t have much to do with our lives back then.

8 Likes

Dead on. Thanks! Just wish I could like a post more than once!

3 Likes

Wow- lots of great tales of woe here!
No wonder MST was a hit and we all connect with it :slightly_smiling_face:
The closest I came to walking out on a movie was Ang Lee’s “Incredible Hulk”- and this from a guy who stood in an oversold theater the whole length of his undubbed subtitled “Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon” because it was SO good. That’s right- I’m willing to stand and read movie when it’s great but Eric Bana takes half the movie to transform and when he does, he flights a giant poodle in a redwood tree! DEEP HURTING
The worst, though, was “It Follows”. The media hyped it up and critics acclaimed it so I thought, “Finally! A scary horror movie!” Nope. SO boring. The only thing good was the premise that ghosts are an STD :rofl:

4 Likes

I watched that as a rental mainly because my friend had the same bedset as one of the characters in the movie. Seriously. We were cheering for the bedding.

5 Likes

8MM.

To this day I have no idea why I convinced my family to see this horrid movie. I felt like I needed multiple showers after seeing that movie. shudders

7 Likes

If I would have given money to watch Freddy got fingered I would have walked out.

I worked for years at a place that bought and sold used DVDs. I refused that movie with whatever reason I could come up with because I dislike that movie so much.

END OF LINE

5 Likes

OMG… I was in college and we went to a dollar theater to watch “Quigley Down Under”. Left half way through and demanded my dollar back…Got it back immediately! :wink:

4 Likes

You mean Laura Dern? Because I’ve heard that complaint a lot, and I don’t get why people think she should have told Poe the plan when the whole point was that they thought there was a spy in the fleet. Of course she kept it on a need to know basis.

Of all the things to complain about in that movie, that shouldn’t be one of the things.

7 Likes

No, I believe you—the bedding might have been the most interesting character in the whole show.

4 Likes

This. ALL of this right here.

6 Likes

Coppola’s Dracula.

I hated it. I wanted to leave but I was there with friends and couldn’t and I just sat through the whole thing bored out of my mind. I love Dracula. I love vampires. I apparently cannot stand Coppola as a director because I’ve never liked anything he’s done.

Cannot tell you why, either. I have no clue.

5 Likes

Never have walked out on a movie. The closest was ‘Even Cowgirls Get The Blues’. I don’t remember why after all this time. And fell asleep at ‘Dirty Dancing’.

3 Likes