Worst movie you saw in the theater

The Sixth Day. Oh, that was a bad movie. I wasn’t expecting much, but it managed to completely miss even those expectations.

Also, I was supposed to be seeing it with “friends”, but they all bailed without telling me.

2 Likes

Joker was nominated for Best Picture that year, but lost to Parasite.

2 Likes

Oh, right. It was Best Score was there other Oscar. Not sure how I confused that. =P

1 Like

Enemy of the State, with Will Smith and Gene Hackman. Utter garbage. And it had the audacity to try to pass itself off as a follow-up to The Conversation!

2 Likes

I’ve seen some real turkeys, but I’ll have to go with the 1990 Captain America. My then future husband and I went out with a bunch of friends from college, and it almost turned me off the whole genre!

2 Likes

I have yet to see this film, but probably not for the reasons you might think.

No, my reason is, I am sick and tired of DC films focusing on Batman and Superman (and their related characters like Joker) to the exclusion of their WIDE slate of other characters. I have yet to even see the Nolan Batman trilogy (although I have seen clips of Heath Ledger’s performance and consider him to be one of, if not THE best portrayal of the Joker thus far) simply because I am THAT tired of Batman. I watched Batmam vs Superman entirely under protest because I thought it was going to lead into an interconnected film universe like the MCU, only to have that completely fall through because WB can’t get their head out of their butts and actually plan things out.

I know people who were raving about it, and that’s fine; except when a movie is objectively BAD I don’t care what people enjoy. I just refuse to watch it myself.

2 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t even know there was a book! Yikes. Well, the monster in my imagination would have been better at least.

1 Like

Oh noooooo I’m so sorry. Snails (or whatever his name is) should’ve stayed dead, it would’ve given the film some small semblance of backbone.

1 Like

The aliens are legitimately called expletiveweasels throughout the film. If that’s what you’re calling your “monster” I don’t think you expect them or your movie to be taken seriously. I could be wrong though. (Although the prospect of Morgan Freeman repeatedly saying expletiveweasel does seem oddly delightful. I can’t remember if he does but I feel like he did at least once in the movie.)

2 Likes

I’ve walked out of Where’s Poppa?, The Reflecting Skin, and The Dark Knight. Still not sorry, either.

I once saw a forum almost collapse on itself when a bad-movie connoisseur of my acquaintance said that Heath Ledger’s Joker was just Richard Speck trying to put on lipstick in a car going over random potholes.

Like him, there’s really only one live-action Batman for me, and that’s the one from the 1960s. So of course I applauded this. :laughing:

3 Likes

For me…it’s either one of these four (and I sat through all four in full and enjoyed at least one of them and have revisited since):
-Super Mario Bros.
-Batman and Robin
-Inspector Gadget
-Green Lantern

3 Likes

I just mentioned this in the thread about movies which desperately need riffing. I found a copy in the garage which my then-future spouse had brought when he moved in. Even he claims to not know how it ended up in his possession.

Disney has much to answer for. I feel like if I saw The Apple Dumpling Gang now, with -IIRC- the hero marrying the woman who basically beats up on him through the whole movie, I’d be appalled. (Even as a tyke, I remember feeling ill at ease about it without knowing why. See also: Herbie Rides Again.)

2 Likes

The Reflecting Skin is definitely an acquired taste. And one sorta needs to be in the mood for where it’s going to go because it’s gonna get dark.

1 Like

A family friend wrote the book and screenplay to that!

It all started when Suzanne Pleshette insisted on kissing Dean Jones in The Ugly Dachshund. Disney was against—was sure it was a sign of the downfall of society…and he was right! :wink:

2 Likes

Well, my dad (may he rest in peace) illustrated a deservedly forgotten “ethnic humor” book from the 1980s. So I guess we’re even. :confused:

1 Like

So many of the movies mentioned here are ones I really enjoy :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve seen a few dreadful movies in theaters, but I was way too young to actually register them as genuinely bad. So, I won’t count those! This does make things harder, however, because I’ve seen very few movies that I’ve self-selected that didn’t jive with me at least a little.

For this though, The Village. While not technically in a theater, I’m counting it because it was a large screening on a nice projector. Good enough!

It isn’t a total disaster of a film, but it had quite a few obvious production mishaps, like microphones dropping into scenes with surprising frequency, and it was also dreadfully predictable. On the plus side, the crowd was more than happy to have fun with it, so it ended up being a pretty swell evening of live riffing.

2 Likes