1203. Lords of the Deep (1989)

1989 flooded with underwater productions. The Abyss (1989), Leviathan (1989), Lords of the Deep (1989), DeepStar Six (1989). The wave of water drama washed into theaters seizing the moment. “With a name like” Roger Corman, “it HAS to be good!” Blueprints, The Hand-Dryer Air-Hockey Table, Drone Probes, Truth Goop, Nursery Rhyme Games, Good Morning with Kinga and Max! “Hey, I used to live there!”, “The Oscar Meyer Sub-Mobile!”, “The most realistic sex scene ever.” “In the beginning the movie was without shape and form” or “Dan Aykroyd’s Hidden Secrets of the Universe”?

8 Likes

If it’s not my favorite episode from season 12, it’s pretty close (between this and Ator).

4 Likes

My Second favorite experiment of the gauntlet.

Tom’s “Mama?” Voice

Jonah’s tough guy speech “…now make like a tree and leave “

Crow’s Richard Jenkins from Shape of Water impression.

It’s fantastic

9 Likes

The Shape of Water (2017) narration is possibly my favorite riff of Season 12.

7 Likes

:apple::apple:
:peach::peach:
:jack_o_lantern: :pie:

3 Likes

The Adorable Dr. St. Phibes!

6 Likes

I was gonna say, the big takeaway from this episode is the introduction of Dr. Donna St. Phibes, who I really hope we see again in some capacity on MST3K. It’s a novel concept for a character in the world of MST3K, a B-Movie Monster Conservationist.

And really, it’d be a shame if we didn’t revisit this character somewhere down the road in MST3K proper (we did get to see her again in the closing telethon for the second Kickstarter). Deanna Rooney is such fun in the role!

9 Likes

The closing seconds of this are complete lunacy. One of the greatest ends to an episode.

13 Likes

I really dig this one. It’s has a nice chill, relaxed vibe. This is a good option for a “late night” viewing.

7 Likes

Agreed.

It’s a great subversion of expectations, how it goes from a schmoozy talk show to screams and terror and ALL ABSOLUTE HELL BREAKING LOOSE

5 Likes

As for the episode? Another season 12 gem with a movie that at once feels like a Sci-Fi Channel throwback and also feels more than a tad different from anything else they’ve done.

The movie’s not close to being good, but it’s semi-respectable and easy to watch, if that makes sense. That makes for an overall solid experience with the riffs factored in.

The Cary Grant LSD stuff made me howl-laugh, because there was a time when I gave thought to what Cary Grant would be like on LSD, and it’s like THIS SHOW WAS PULLING UP STUFF FROM MY MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND

The “Trippy Blob” sequence is a gem. Those in-theater musical sequences could be great (see also: the UFO song from Starcrash and “Below the Dam” from Killer Fish), and this one was a psychedelic winner. Crow’s “You are Blob! Blob is YOU!” = A+

Also, nothing but love for Jonah’s “Jim Henson’s Hunt for Red October Babies” riff.

8 Likes

Folks were elated on Mac and Me (1988) as riffbait when announced. This picture I knew of my whole life and the prospect of it appearing on MST3K excited me. I wasn’t disappointed.

4 Likes

Loaded of the deep episode was good but for me the movie was a hard watch I think it was those darn, oh my mom can sew all the uniforms look that just bugged the Be Jezzus out of me! :frowning::grin: (yes I know about the misspelling)

3 Likes

The use of Deep’s (1989) psychedelic candy cane effect pushed it over the top.

8 Likes

And in 1206. Dr. Donna appears in Ator, The Fighting Eagle (1982) discussing Ator’s pet.

6 Likes

This is another one I haven’t seen in a while, but my memory of it is that it’s one of those comfy blanket episodes. Maybe not the best one, but just nice and cozy and MSTie feeling. It’s the sort of episode I might not think to pick out to watch, but would happily watch if it was on.

4 Likes

Gamera vs. Jiger (1970) feels a natural for her. Imagine her explaining Gamera to Kinga and Max.

5 Likes

The Christmas Dragon (2014) is another strong possibility. She’d suit that to a t.

4 Likes

And then there’s Munchie (1992). Her analysis would be priceless.

5 Likes

The host segment in which the blob forces Jonah to recount humiliating experiences from his childhood has a very Mike era vibe to it.

8 Likes