Any hikers or backpackers here?

So, does anyone here go hiking or backpacking?

I am a day hiker. I like to go hiking on a local trail here in town that cuts through many parks and allows for plenty of chances to rest, drink water and enjoy nature. I have yet to go on an overnight hike or multi-day hike.

There are those thru-hikers that like to spend weeks or even months on a major trail like the Appalachian Trail, the Continental Divide Trail and so on. I have not been on any of those.

5 Likes

Heck yeah! I’ve loved hiking since my summers in Colorado as a kid. For years I had to stick with flat urban trail walks in Chicago, but now I live in the Blue Ridge foothills.

I’m staying just steps off the Chester Valley Trail when I go to MST3Kon, and I’m planning to hike it unless any friendly MSTies lure me away with food and drinks.

5 Likes

I day hike to fly fish all the time. I’m that weirdo in the floppy hat down there in the creek.

Often if I just stand still, other humans hike right by without noticing, because nobody’s looking for people in the creek.

5 Likes

Loved you in The Incredible Melting Man! (You know, prior to your bloody decapitation.)

3 Likes

Yeah there’s always the danger of being misidentified as an elk.

2 Likes

The trail I walk on follows the Red River; on the other side in this photo (that’s the Minnesota side), people get ready to go fishing.

During my hike, I came across people fishing and even a few who caught some fish!

4 Likes

Is that the Red River that occasionally floods like crazy and shows up on the news?

2 Likes

I like to hike when given the opportunity. Waterfalls are my favorite destination, but I’m willing to take some changes in topography for a change of pace from the flatland here.

About 20 years ago, I did a two-day hike on part of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia, and that gave me a real appreciation for people that hike the whole thing. Wow.

5 Likes

This hiking thing (am I saying that right?), it takes place outside, yes? How quaint.

I used to do occasional short hikes when I was younger, but these days I only walk to get somewhere, which might be a nice bit of nature or something. I think I did too much working outside, lugging stuff around in horrible conditions to enjoy the hiking part any more.

3 Likes

I try to get in at least one 2-5 hour hike every weekend. Living near the Litchfield Hills, the lower Hudson Valley, and around 2.5 hours from the Catskill Mountains gives me quite a few quality choices on that front. The views from the summits and fire towers are very stunning in some places (Mount Beacon and Giant Ledge being some of my favorites).

A benefit to global warming is that it is allowing for more frequent winter hikes in these parts (though someday it will lead to fewer summer hikes).

5 Likes

We dabble in hiking… mostly at state or national parks.

Here’s some GNP stuff!

9 Likes

I enjoy hiking but don’t get to do so much in my flat, swampy state.

2 Likes

Yes, it does flood - that happens usually in the spring when all the snow & ice melts. It even tends to flood the surrounding areas; that ends up closing off the trail I walk on.

2 Likes

I enjoy hiking, though I don’t do it as often as I should. Recently visited Shenandoah National Park with my wife and kids. At one point we walked on part of the Appalachian Trail, and I swear my 10 year old had a religious experience! He took some of the dirt and rubbed it on his pant leg, and he wanted several pictures of him on the trail. I can envision him as a big time hiker as he gets older.

3 Likes

I like hiking as long as I can sleep in my own bed at night. No camping. :slight_smile:

I’m still finding places to go around here (and I haven’t been exactly mobile for the last few months), but I went hiking often back in Idaho. Here’s a place called Gold Bug Hot Springs. It was really hot while we were hiking but it was a lovely view once we got to the hot springs.

4 Likes

I understand. I’m only a day hiker myself.

Just once, I would like to try an overnight trip. But that does require some kind of sleep system such as a tent, a hammock, a tarp or perhaps cowboy camping.

3 Likes

I do local day hikes once or twice a week.

Backpacking sounds… heavy. And expensive. And unnecessary since I can get to plenty of pretty places in a day. I do want to try properly camping, and have vague plans for Great Basin National Park this year, it’s just difficult to work up the nerve alone.

5 Likes

I thought the ticks were bad in NY this year, but Maine is positively crawling.

Testing out picaridin spray. I don’t like deet because it melts plastics. And maybe neurons.

2 Likes

That reminds me - I checked out a nearby state park this weekend and, while looking for parking, drove across the evocatively named Chigger Lane.

ETA that I’ve had good luck with lemon eucalyptus oil.

2 Likes

Investing in bug repellent is a good idea. I don’t worry much about it myself as my normal hiking trail is paved & I rarely hike through grass and forest.

3 Likes