Cover versions that are better than the originals

I like PMJ, but I don’t know most recent music, so I don’t get a lot of what they put out. (I have the same issue with Weird Al these days.) When they do classic songs, though, they’re usually great.

2 Likes

Never mind the typically hokey and dated video. A memorable cover that surpasses the pretty good original by Looking Glass. (Of “Brandy” fame.) The surf overtones and bongos are just the right flourishes. Cotton brings an urgency and longing to it that just wasn’t there previously. :love_letter:

1 Like

Anyone who’s recently watched Tormented definitely recognizes this as presented by Sessions.

3 Likes

Looking Glass had a song other than “Brandy?”

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is better than the original, but I like it a lot.

1 Like

This is actually one of two originals. Terry Hall and Jane Wiedlin (dating at the time) wrote it together and both had their bands record it.

4 Likes

You can tell they’re connected, because in each case a woman’s name is in the title but she gets no dialogue in the actual song.

(Oh, wait. That’s 75% of the history of popular arts. Never mind.)

Anyway, have another (more recent) pretty cover, you big goofballs.

1 Like

Well, a mayun told her that she would be a good wife!* What more could she ask for?

* Not as good as a body of water, but still…

2 Likes

Brandy, thinking to herself as she fires up the industrial dishwasher after closing time: “Look, Fred thanks for the necklace but I already know you have a squeeze in every port in the world. It’s not that big a deal. I’m already around sailors 40 hours a week anyway.”

2 Likes

Grant Hart wrote it, but NO ONE puts my main man M.C. in a corner! :wink:

1 Like

Paul thought they did it better.

1 Like

(What is the sound of one robot being thrown across a theater? :wink: )

It’s unsurprising that so many metal and metal-ish bands have made this song part of their lives:

3 Likes

Speaking of the underworld, I know I’m bound for it. Cuz’ even though I love The Temptations, I think this cover might surpass them. (R.I.P. - Terry C. :cry: )

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t like this version. Music is decent but the vocals sound like Trey Parker from South Park doing it, like it’s a joke and overly exaggerated. Side pronounced as SiYde. Weird.

2 Likes

There are many others to choose from. I just thought it’d be nice to plug one that didn’t show up first in the search.

1 Like

Jazz Clash. A couple of sound bobbles, but overall I like:

2 Likes
2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Turn about being fair play and all: this is a Los Lobos cover. A favorite of mine for years, now taken even higher by those soulful vocals and harmonica:

1 Like

Wish I’d remembered this Sturgill Simpson cover back when the thread was originally active. The first time I heard this version, I sat in silence for 15 minutes once it was done. Didn’t want any other sounds to enter my ears. Simply needed to enjoy the afterglow, as it were. I’d never had that reaction before, and haven’t had it since.

3 Likes

Sounds almost like one time when I was bored somewhere and there were only country albums around, and I’m not much of a fan of that genre, but I found Willie Nelson’s cover of Yesterday (by The Beatles). At that point, it was like an oasis.

But it also reminds me of when I first heard Mariah Carey perform her own song “Someday” in her MTV Unplugged session (an acoustical session). It’s like the radio version wants only to be chirpy and finish in the least amount of time. The Unplugged version actually lets the song breathe and express the emotions behind the lyrics.

2 Likes