Favorite 'out of print' episodes?

What, no Peppa Pig fans?

I’ve seen some of her sketch work, the little kid character she brought over to SNL, and her bit on Red Dwarf.

5 Likes

Both Rocketship X-M and It Conquered the World are huge sentimental favourites for me, and I am always surprised to remember that they don’t loom as large in most fans’ minds as they do in mine (because they have been so inaccessible).

3 Likes

If we’re ranking MST3K (and boy howdy, do I rank MST3K), I’d have The Final Sacrifice as my third favorite episode behind Mitchell and the all-time fave, Jack Frost. So, The Final Sacrifice would be the crown jewel for this question.

But as far as sentimental favorites go, The Amazing Colossal Man is the first episode I taped off TV. It’s not the first one I’ve seen. Before that, I caught Alien from L.A., and then Pod People as part of the Mystery Science Theater Hour. Anywho, gah, I rewatched and rewatched and rewatched the hell out of The Amazing Colossal Man. Love love love that one.

Godzilla Vs. Megalon is god-tier, but I also gotta throw some love to Terror from the Year 5000 for feeling like quintessential Sci-Fi era MST3K - not the show’s all-time best installment, but one that feels like it embodies that Season 8 warmth and quality.

4 Likes

Yup. Sorry, i mis-remembered!

2 Likes

Has anyone written something on the parallels between some skits on MST3K and Red Dwarf?
Every so often I’ll think, “Hey didn’t Red Dwar do this bit?”

4 Likes

“Rocketship XM” without question. It was one of first episodes I caught when it was new and hooked me forever.

But beyond it being a sentimental favorite, it still holds up as one of the funniest episodes, period.

To me it’s, as they say in the episode, “an old friend.”

6 Likes

My all-timer podium would be Cave Dwellers at 3rd (a non-stop adventure of riffing gold), Prince of Space at 2nd (ninety minutes of pure joy) and, of course, I Accuse My Parents takes top spot!

Pod People would be my sentimental favorite. The very first one I saw!

5 Likes

I’d have to throw in for The Deadly Bees. The riff was excellent, but of course what really stuck with me is the host segments. Starting strong with the “Previously on Satellite of Love” montage, and then bringing back the Observers for one final battle. Pearl and Bobo appealing to Brain Guy to stay with them through song (and tortillas stuffed with ham). And the cherry on top, the entire narrative just grinds to an abrupt halt thanks to the perplexing appearance of the guy in the bowler hat. Right up there with some of my most rewatched tapes.

9 Likes

Well, if you know a better way to recover from stress and exhaustion than isolating yourself on an island full of unpleasant, cigarette-y people and their murder bees, I’d like to hear it.

9 Likes

How have we not mentioned Riding with Death yet in this thread‽ More specifically, the first half? As we’ve demonstrated, it has so many quotable riffs. My goal in life is to be as elusive as Robert Denby.

9 Likes

Good one, yeah that’s a winner, and one I didn’t remember was OOP.

Is H.A.R.M. out of print too, wasn’t that the reason it and Riding with Death couldn’t be included in Espionage & Intrigue Month?

They are both favorites of mine

4 Likes

Looks like those just lack streaming rights. They still seem to be available for sale in DVD sets 33 & 36.

It would be nice if the Gizmoplex could have a purchase-only section for these episodes (i.e. personal library and download), but maybe that requires additional rights, too.

5 Likes

I’d be in there so fast my credit card would melt!

3 Likes

That official never been released list ‘ya got there would be great for Vol. 40 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Riding With Death would definitely be on top of my “out of streaming” wish list. That would be such a tremendously fun event or watch party!

2 Likes

I thought all the episodes we see in the Gizmoplex were available to purchase?

I haven’t tried it yet, hang on…

Grrr… Ok, so I’m signed in on my Apple TV and iPhone, but the website isn’t accepting the password I have saved…

Guess I’ll have to reset and re-log-in everything …

later…

Probably, but we were talking about the opposite: episodes that aren’t on The Gizmoplex but can still be purchased as part of physical DVD box sets. Agent for H.A.R.M. and Riding with Death are two of these.

2 Likes